Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotative scaling xref issue ...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
John_in_NZ
9830 Views, 7 Replies

Annotative scaling xref issue ...

I could do with a bit of help regarding annotative scaling of some objects within an xref generated by Civil3D, but I've no experience of sorting out issues with annotative objects.

The situation is that I have a dwg that's been generated by Civil3D which contains blocks which use annotative scaling (long sections).

When I look at the long sections in the XREF dwg file, the blocks appear as I would expect them to do if they were standard blocks generated to be presented at 1:250, both in PS and MS.  See Civil3D.png attachment.

However, when I attach the XREF to my working dwg things go astray.  

When viewed in MS the sections appear as they do in the xref file, but when I look at the sections in PS viewport, the objects are tiny, approx 1:250th of the scale that they should be.  See Vanilla.png attachment.

As I say, my experience of annotative scaling is extremely limited, and nobody else in the office can shed any light on the subject as we all seem to be KISS Acad dinosaurs ... Smiley Wink

We've managed to check some basic settings, and so far we've confirmed that the DDUNITS are set to Meters(!) in both dwg's, and that the CANNOSCALE are both set with a scale names of "1:250", also that the paper units and drawing units have identical values in both dwgs, but other than that we're in the dark.

So what are we missing, what should I be checking in the C3D xref, and what should I be checking in my dwg?

Cheers ... Smiley Happy

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
nestly2
in reply to: John_in_NZ

The Annotative scale (shown in the AutoCAD statusbar) shows the same scale in MS as it does when the PS Viewport is active... right?

Message 3 of 8
John_in_NZ
in reply to: nestly2

We hadn't done that, so thanks for the tip.

However, I've just double checked that the Annotative scale shows as 1:250 on the status bar in MS in both dwg's and that it shows as 1:250 when the VP is selected in PS, but unfortunately it doesn't change the view in the drawing.
Message 4 of 8
nestly2

Using the Properties Palette, can you confirm that the block has 1:250 scale assigned?

If it does, could you upload the xref  (or at least a sample of it) so we can test.  Also, can you confirm which release year of AutoCAD you're using.

Annotative Block.gif

Message 5 of 8
John_in_NZ
in reply to: nestly2

Thanks for the step-by-step video.

As I mentioned, the long sections are Civil3D objects, and so I'll need to wait for a C3D licence to come free before I can check that the blocks have the appropriate scale assigned, but my suspicion has always been that the problem lay with a setting in the XREF, rather than a setting in the target dwg.

I'll let you know how I get on ... Smiley Happy

[edit]... forgot to mention, Acad 2015 and C3D 2015 ... [/edit]

Message 6 of 8
John_in_NZ

Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions.

I've just managed to open up the XREF quickly in C3D, and the object is controlled by a "Style" setting, rather than through the Properties Palette, and that's way out of my area of experience.

Coincidentally, we've got a meeting with our Autodesk Reseller early next week to discuss C3D templates, so I'll raise the question with them and see what they have to say on the subject.

If I don't get a satisfactory answer from them, I'll ask the question over on the C3D section of the forum, rather than muddy the waters in the vanilla Acad section.

Once again, many thanks ... Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
gonecrawfishin

Did anyone figure out a solution to this? We are having the exact same issue, trying to xref in some profile views where the text look as intended everywhere except through a viewport looking at an xref of the profile. 

Message 8 of 8
cadffm
in reply to: gonecrawfishin

Are you really using Civil3D? or AutoCAD, what would be the right forum here.

(Civil3D Forum for Civil3D User -> Click!)

Just AutoCAD?: Upload a simple sample (use etransmit  incl. all external stuff)

Sebastian

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta