Did you mean: 

3D Model Physical Properties Exploding

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
548 Views, 9 Replies

3D Model Physical Properties Exploding

Current Version of Autodesk AutoCAD 2015

While doing some 3D modeling I ran into an issue when opening saved models. It appears that my model has exploded the physical properties of objects and their handles. In this particular case flanges and pipe nozzles appear in  a separate place than their handles. These objects were grouped with a few other objects and should remain relative to the position of a still I am designing. The "explosion" of physical properties doesn't seem to happen until I try a command or zoom in, almost as if the model is regenerating with commands. I am able to move the object into the correct position although when this is done the handles move as well. Also when this is done it seems to cause more objects to explode from their handles. Initially I thought the file had been corrupted during saving and proceeded to redraw the objects. Unfortunately this has not been a one time occurrence and multiple models have began to show similar malfunctions. This is causing me a great deal of frustration due to the always prevalent time constraints when designing models. Has anyone experienced this and is there a reasonable solution? Any and all help is appreciated. Below is a screenshot of objects exploded from their handles for clarity on the problem I'm seeing.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

I think you should try BREP on one of your models. If you like, you can attach one to a post and I will take a look also.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

This will work as a short term solution, although I would like to know the cause of issue. It will become very time consuming if I will need to go through each model and perform this command on every object and still be forced to replace items in the proper position. Are you aware of any factors that would cause objects to move from their handles like this?

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Hi @john.vellek

I have attached the file with the obvious issues in placement.

Message 5 of 10
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I personally have never had it happen to one of my models so I don't have much to go on.  Do you typically have the solids history turned on?  IMHO, it is not all that great a feature so I turn it off. Perhaps why I haven't seen this issue myself.

Are your models being built entirely in AutoCAD? I know that imported meshes cause some issues.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

The models are being built completely in AutoCad. The only imported file is a point of origin file and it is an AutoCad file as well. Currently I have my solid history set to none. I believe that is what you mean by having it turned off?

Message 7 of 10
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes, very strange! What happens if you work with Hardware Acceleration turned off for a little while. It would be interesting to see if that has any affect.

I don't see anything unusual in your drawing that would cause such behavior. I was able to remove 19 Regapps though using -Purge>Regapps.

Other posts indicate that if the objects are moved away from grips that exploding and then performing an Undo will return them to the proper spot. I don't see anything like that here.

I will keep looking.

John Vellek

Message 8 of 10
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you test how the model integrity behaves if you turn off Hardware Acceleration?

John Vellek

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Sean & John,

Did you find a solution to this problem?

We are experiencing the same issue with some of our modelling.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 10 of 10
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

There has been no resolution on this issue as I have been unable to duplicate the issue on my side.  Can you describe how your model gets created/originated and at what point this seems to occur? Can you attach a sample model that shows this as well? Do you have the BAK file from it as well where it shows up correctly (or a previoius version)?

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report