Did you mean: 

2018 Saving version conflict

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
ndawsonmccann
18935 Views, 20 Replies

2018 Saving version conflict

Hi, I'm testing AutoCAD 2018 and I ran into a saving issue when I try to save to 2013 instead of 2018 and I get an error that reads:

"This drawing contains custom objects that are not supported in previous versions."

It gives me the following options:

Save as 2018

Save as AutoCAD-only obejcts

Save to previous version with Proxy Graphics.

I have not tried and of these options. Has anyone ran into this issue?

Thankscad error.PNG

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
john.vellek
in reply to: ndawsonmccann

Hi @ndawsonmccann,

This message indicates that you have proxy objects form AutoCAD Architecture. There is no object enabler to retain these objects in an older version of the drawing. Unless these objects are critical to rain as AutoCAD Architecture entities, then simply exporttoautocad to remove them.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 21
imadHabash

Hi,

The message appears due to previous drawing versions not being designed to support more current objects. Once a custom object is saved in a newer file format, it is no longer backwards compatible. in addition of the above post solution you can also convert the DWG file to DXF and then back again :

1. Use SAVEAS and save to DXF.
  2. Exit and relaunch AutoCAD.
  3. Open the DXF file and SAVEAS to the desired DWG format.

Regards,

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 4 of 21
ndawsonmccann
in reply to: john.vellek

Thank you for the help. I tried both methods and they both worked.

Message 5 of 21
mitchellr
in reply to: imadHabash

Yes the second solution seems to have worked for me. 

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous

What functionality would be lost when completing the back-save via dxf path---the autocad architectural proxy object----is for sheet set management or ??

Message 7 of 21
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I am not sure what proxy objects were included in your drawing.  The vertical products such as AutoCAD Architecture use objects that represent real entities. For instance, a door in ACA is actually considered a door and not lines and arcs that represent a door.  When these items are in a plain AutoCAD drawing, one must use an Object Enabler in order to display them properly.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

Imad Habash, your method of saving to dxf, exiting AutoCAD, opening the dxf (without proxy objects), and then saving as a previous dwg version worked for me!  Thank you.

The export method did not seem to do anything. 

Message 9 of 21
geoffamos

This solution (saveas as dxf) isn't good enough for me. Sure it works, but what a lot of effort just to save back a file. Not everyone in our organisation has upgraded to 2018. 

Message 10 of 21
Anonymous

Hi,

We have kind of the same problem at our workplace. We've all upgraded to AutoCAD 2018 and all of us have "save as 2013" as default. We still can't import or copy our drawings to other software or older versions of AutoCad.

This is really problematic since we rely on several different softwares and the ability to use references between them.

Message 11 of 21
ndawsonmccann

I found the command: AECTOACAD which creates a new file that converts AEC objects to CAD objects. I believe i used this on the files that I used and it fixed the issue. 

Message 12 of 21
jhayden

I had a similar issue. We have installed 2018 Architecture but haven't officially switched yet. Drawings are in 2015 Architecture with ACA walls, doors, etc. A user accidentally opened and saved in 2018. Drawing then couldn't be opened in 2015. So he saved it down, but had to save all the way to 2013 (no newer options). Then all the ACA walls and doors disappeared when opened back up in 2015. Doesn't seem right.

Struggling Newbie trying to conceal my ignorance.
Message 13 of 21
john.vellek
in reply to: jhayden

Hi @jhayden,

There are no file format changes for intermediate releases.  AutoCAD 2013-2017 all share the same file format.

John Vellek

Message 14 of 21
jhayden

So why does saving down from 2018 to 2013 wipe out all my proxy objects?

Message 15 of 21
john.vellek

HI @jhayden,

I am unsure why a saveas to an older version would remove proxy objects. The proper way to convert to an older version would be to run EXPORTTOAUTOCAD which will convert those proxy objects to normal AutoCAD geometry.

It you would like to attach a sample file that has not yet been saved down i am happy to take a look at it for you.

John Vellek

Message 16 of 21
jhayden

I need to keep all proxy objects intact. Not sure why two versions that can do Proxy Objects are having issues. This was the sequence of events:

Working Proxy Objects in 2015.

Working Proxy Objects when opened in 2018.

Saved. Then couldn't open with 2015 next time user tried to open.

Opened in 2018 and saved down to 2015 and got the error message at the top of this thread.

Proxy Objects now missing when opened in 2015.

I just noticed that when you save a drawing down in AutoCAD Architecture, all the "Files of type" just say "AutoCAD" and not Architecture. Does save-as take it out of Architecture format by default?

Thank you for your guidance.

Message 17 of 21
Ed.Jobe

Do you have the bak file? That would still be the original 2015 version.

Ed

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
How to post your code.

EESignature

Message 18 of 21
john.vellek

Hi @jhayden,

When you have the Proxy Objects in 2015 and then open in 2018 they get updated to 2018 versions which is why they won't open in 2015 any longer.

As far as the SAVE as Type, there is no unique file type just for AutoCAD Architecture. Even those files are normally save in AutoCAD format.

John Vellek

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous

I have the same problem we received a drawing in 2018 and tried saving down to 2013, we tried exporting to 2013 and tried using true view to export to 2013. None of the solutions here work.

try to export gets this error.

Command: -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD
Command not allowed because drawing contains objects from a newer version of this application.
Command: EXPORTTOAUTOCAD2013
Loading AEC Object Explode...
Command not allowed because drawing contains objects from a newer version of this application.

When opening either a "saveas" or an "export to autocad" or a conversion using true view version of the drawing, I get the following error in AutoCAD 2016. NO matter how I export or save this drawing I cannot doing anything with it in lower version of CAD.

acad error.JPG

Tags (4)
Message 20 of 21
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

Some Civil 3D objects are not backward compatible.  If you export this from Civil 3D as plain AutoCAD objects I believe that you will have better success.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta