Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014: Dimensions with fixed extension lines don't have fixed ext. lines

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1809 Views, 6 Replies

2014: Dimensions with fixed extension lines don't have fixed ext. lines

See attached drawing fixed extension line is set to 10, and dimension scale is set to 20. 20 x 10 = 200. So the far dimension should have a fixed extension line length of 200.

But it doesn't. Offset from origin is set to 0. Why isn't it working?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
steve216586
in reply to: Anonymous

1. What is the distance from the object to the dimension line?

2. What is the extension line offset from origin?

3. What is the extension line extension beyond dimension line?

4. What is 1 & 3 total length?

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: steve216586

@steve216586 wrote:

1. What is the distance from the object to the dimension line?

2. What is the extension line offset from origin?

3. What is the extension line extension beyond dimension line?

4. What is 1 & 3 total length?

All this info can be measured in the drawing I attached. There are 2 dimensions:

1. for dimension 1: left side and right side are both 3954. For dimension 2: left side is 3954, right side is... somehow 4287 even though it's a shorter distance. 3d is at play, I think

2. See OP: 0

3: 1.5

4: 3955.5 and 4288.5

Message 4 of 7
pendean

DIMSCALE has no effect on already placed dimensions: you have to actively update them after you change it's settings or draw all new dimensions.

It's always worked like that. Try it. -DIMSTYLE is the command name, there is a dash in the name: explore usage in HELP.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
DIMSCALE has no effect on already placed dimensions: you have to actively update them after you change it's settings or draw all new dimensions.

It's always worked like that. Try it. -DIMSTYLE is the command name, there is a dash in the name: explore usage in HELP.

Fair enough although I tried deleting the dimension each time and redrawing it and still no dice.

But I've fixed it now: 3d was at play. One of the things I was measuring off was set to a 4287 elevation, and of course autocad snapped to the TOP of the elevated point, meaning the fixed extension line probably *was* 200 long, but was 200 long in 3d so appears shorter in 2d. Just checked and autocad doesn't render extneion liens in 3d so I didn't find a 200-long extension line when looking in 3d but oh well, this fixed it: make sure both things your'e measuring are on the same elevation!

ALSO, IMPORTANT: open options (OPTIONS command), go to Drafting tab, and tick "replace Z value with current elevation", and click OK. Now the dimensions work properly in 2d! Just tried drawing the dimension again and it is working properly with this option ticked!

Message 6 of 7
leothebuilder

You dimension style works fine.

The fixed extension line did not work because your dim origin point was too close.

You also seemed to have an override in your dimstyle.

Strip it all back to basics and it works as you want.

Message 7 of 7
pendean

You sample exhibited none of the problems you noted: but then in your sample the DIMSTYLE of the drawn dimensions was not the active DIMSTYLE either.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta