Did you mean: 

1" = 1' not the same as 1:1

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
10390 Views, 11 Replies

1" = 1' not the same as 1:1

Is there ever a reason that you'd want 1"=1' to have 1 paper unit = 1 drawing unit? Shouldn't this be 1 paper unit = 12 drawing units? I'm working on a drawing that has a bunch of scales set up this way and can't figure out if they are mistakes or if there's actually a reason for them to be set up this way.

1in=5000ft.png

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Now my brain hurts. Can you attach a sample of your drawings? I am happy to help with your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 12
sthompson1021

If your drawing units are set to feet instead of inches, 1"=1' would be the same as 1:1 not 1:12  Most of my drawings are done with -dwgunits set to feet and not inches.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

1:1 is "full scale" and yes some parts machining is drawn "full scale" at 1:1

1"=1' is scaled 1:12; ONE drawn inch is equal to 12 measured inches.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Dear Mr. pfweber

Am not sure about your query, but on the other hand if you are too worried about lot of scales in your drawing and in fact if you are not using them all, then just go to Scale list edit command, select all and delete them....Only the unused scales will be deleted and the rest will remain

Hope this could help you out..

Regards

Di****h.MC

Message 6 of 12
RobDraw

@Anonymous, you are correct. Also, the highlighted scale in your OP is wrong by the same factor of 12.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 7 of 12
pendean

1inch=1foot is not 1:1, post a DWG file with this problem, I'm not able to replicate it here.
Message 8 of 12
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: sthompson1021

@sthompson1021 wrote:

If your drawing units are set to feet instead of inches, 1"=1' would be the same as 1:1 not 1:12  ....

I disagree.  Note that the description under the list in their image, corresponding to the highlighted scale of 1" = 5000', says "1 paper unit = 5000 drawing units."  A "paper unit" clearly means an inch, regardless of what the model-space drawing unit represents.  With the drawing unit set at a foot as they therefore must have it, 1"=1' would be one paper unit [= plotted inch] represents one drawing unit, which certainly is not the same as 1:1 [i.e. not full size] -- a square one foot long on each edge would plot on paper as a one-inch square, not as a one-foot square.

1"=1' is a scale that is used in certain Architectural detailing, but Architects typically have the drawing unit set at an inch, because that's necessary to get feet-and-inches [and fractions] in both designations of sizes/lengths/distances in drawing and in the text content of Dimensions.  In my experience, a drawing unit of a foot is typically used by Surveyors and Civil Engineers, and if they don't ordinarily have any use for that plotting scale, I would agree the OP could dump that one [and many others] from the list.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

mr. Cooper,

Civil work is frequently executed with one drawing unit equal to 1 foot, not one inch.  

A viewport plotted to a scale of 1"=5000'-0" would have a plot scale ratio of 1:5,000 (ONE Drawing Unit = 5,000 Drawing Units).  

That same viewport if one drawing unit were equal to 1 inch the plot ratio would be 1:60,000 (ONE Drawing Unit = 60,000 Drawing Units).

draw a square 100 drawing units square

On a civil drawing that would represent 10,000 Sq. Ft. (100' per side),

On an architectural drawing it would represent 69.444 Sq. Ft. (8'-4" per side)

A 10 ft sq. slab on an civil drawing would be drawn 10 Drawing Units x 10 Drawing Units

A 10 ft sq. slab on an arch. drawing would be drawn 120 DU x 120 DU

The former plotted at 1:1 would result in a square measuring 10" (1"=1')

The latter requires a viewport ratio of 1:12 to result in a 10" square. (1"=1'-0")

Message 10 of 12
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you gotten the answer you were seeking in this thread?

A good rule of thumb is that all objects are drawn real scale in model space 1:1. Paperspace should represent your real world paper size 1:1.

The relationship between your model and paper through a viewport is where scaling occurs in order for a real model to be scaled to fir your paper.

Please let me know if I am misunderstanding your question and also, please feel free to attach a sample drawing.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 11 of 12
sthompson1021
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Kent, I didn't mean to imply that plotting at 1:1 would produce a real world size drawing. What I was saying is that 1"=1' will give you the same viewport scale as 1:1 if your dwgunits are set to feet. There is one catch to that however, you cannot use the 1"=1'-0" scale that is standard OOTB unless you edit it to change from 1 paper unit = 12 drawing units to 1 paper unit = 1 drawing unit but the OP showed a 1"=1' scale in the picture so I was assuming that it was an added scale.

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks for the clarification, when I get a chance I'm going to try your example to help me get a better handle on it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta