AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

subtract and regain don't seem to work

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
524 Views, 5 Replies

subtract and regain don't seem to work

Beginner following youtube tutorials.  MacBook Pro Sierra, Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB
Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

"Regen" does nothing no matter how I try it and follow the guy on the tutorial. Same with "subtract".

Can't find any settings that help. Don't know if other commands also are a problem because I haven't got past this stage.

Kevin

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Kevin,

@Anonymous wrote:

"Regen" does nothing no matter how I try it and follow the guy on the tutorial. ...

What do you expect from REGEN command?

@Anonymous wrote:

...Same with "subtract"...

Please verify that you are following command prompts from AutoCAD:

First - select objects you want to subtract FROM,

Hit Return when you are done,

Second select objects you want to subtract,

Hit Return when you are done to complete command.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/AutoCAD-MAC-Core/files/GUID-14872FC1-8827-4D3B-978E-20936F9A78E5-htm.html

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks Maxim,

For "subtract" I was missing the first "return". So I went select, select, then return. Duh, I guess.

Still no luck on the other.

I am viewing a simple "draw a guitar" tutorial but several items don't work on my computer: After drawing the body the instructor selects all and uses "regen" command to convert shapes into single shapes. I can't do this no matter what I turn on or off (ortho, snap, etc). I tried a work around of using the "join" command but this leads back to another problem. When I try drawing an ellipse within a circle, unlike the instructor, I have to turn "object snap" off or I can't draw the ellipse for some reason. So my ellipse doesn't end up 'connecting' to the circle which then prevents me from being able to "trim" correctly. Tutorial and I are both using 2017. Can't figure why they behave so different.

Help much appreciated, Kevin

Tutorial I am watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMy4IaC-_cY

Message 4 of 6
maxim_k

Instructor uses REGION command:

2017-11-29_23-12-15.png

to convert closed areas to Region objects.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Thats just plain embarrassing. Sorry for the wasted time Maxim but thanks for the help! 

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

While we're on it: I did figure a work around for my "ellipse in a circle" problem but wonder if there's a better way? Instructor, as far as I can tell, has ortho and object snap on when he draws an ellipse for a perfect fit inside the circle (lines overlap and connect). I can't do this for some reason. I can draw an ellipse where half in and half out of circle only. Or in the bottom half of circle and the move it with snap off.

Same thing trying to draw line from top of two stacked circles to bottom. I only get half lines.

Right now my work around is to draw the ellipse alone and move it in afterwords but this causes "trim" issues. Likewise, I just draw the line too long outside the snaps so I trim later.

Thanks in advance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost