AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Former Vectorworks user needs help!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
davidhard
744 Views, 5 Replies

Former Vectorworks user needs help!

I'm finally trying to re-learn Autocad and have a few questions about how to do a few things that are very easy to do in Vectorworks, but aren't so straight forward in Autocad. I have been a Vectorworks user for 10 years now, so forgive if I seem dense. It's just that there are some things in Vectorworks that are so easy to do that are seemingly overly complicated (or not possible?) in AutoCAD.

My biggest frustration right now is I can't seem to simply resize an object by entering in direct values. For instance, If I draw a rectange that is 2' x 3' in Vectorworks and then later want to re-size it to 2'-6" x 4'-0", All I have to do is select the rectangle and then simple type in the dimenions I want in the object infor dialog box and it's done. I don't have to redraw it. I can even have multiple rectangles slected and resize them all at once. Super easy.

I understand that in AutoCAD, I use the Lengthen, Stretch and Scale commands to change the size of something. But none of these commands really do what I'm trying to do. 

What am I missing? THere has to be a simple, straightforward way to resize something without having to redraw it. Right?

Sorry for such basic basic question. Please help a Noob out. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
maxim_k
in reply to: davidhard

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

Yes, you are right - AutoCAD doesn't have parametric 2D objects initially.

But you can create your own with variety of ways, for example you can create parametric rectangle as Dynamic block - see attached drawing and "Parametric Rectangle" block in it.

You can drive it's properties from Properties Inspector palette:

2015-05-03 22-51-47 Properties Inspector.png

Or by using triangle grip on it (when you select it)

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 6
davidhard
in reply to: maxim_k

Ugh. OK. I was kinda hoping that AutoCAD would be a little less like data entry. This will take some getting used to.

Thanks for the tip tho.

D

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hi maxim,

I'm also migrating from Vectorwork to AUTOCAD for MAC and found this same dilemma. 

I'm a bit confused on how to use the BLOCK REFERENCE work around method. Could you explain further.

I copied and pasted your rectangle file in a file of mine and see how I can change its size in the PROPERTIES INSPECTOR.

Do I have to now copy and paste this BOX into every new file I create... then copy and paste the little box every time I'm making a rectangle?

.... like a floating key?   .. very very odd.

How do you initially create this floating key w/ select triangle mode in case I loose it?

But I'm glad I found this forum... so will no doubt have many more questions.

Best,

MK

Message 5 of 6
maxim_k
in reply to: davidhard

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Mark,

If you inserted the Rectangle Dynamic block in your drawing you can use COPY command to create a copy of it inside this drawing.
About the process of creation of the Dynamic block - this is separate topic.
You can find some information about Dynamic Blocks in AutoCAD for Mac here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017...

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Maxim,

Thanks. The floating box copy/paste techniques works.
I'll check your addition link info later.

Thanks again.... And I'm sure there's more queries coming from me.

Best,

Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost