AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right Click on Mac

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
meravc18
447 Views, 14 Replies

Right Click on Mac

Hi,

I am following a course led by an instructor using Autocad for PC. I am struggling with every time the instructor right clicks, receives a drop down menu of commands to proceed in the lesson. I cannot right click on my Mac. I have a mouse , but the right click does not show me any kind of drop down menu like what I am seeing in the course.

Help! thank you 

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pendean
in reply to: meravc18

Which mac and mouse do you use now? see this other similar post
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-forum/right-click-menu-does-not-appear/m-p/10116410#M...
and HELP in the program offers tips like
https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACDMAC/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-9AC70B3B-57DD-4AA3-8F6C-9D096886040F#:~:te...

Note: AutoCAD for PC is different in appearance than AutoCAD for MAC, and the two really cannot be easily matched up. You might consider finding a more MAC-based instruction or run the Windows version on your MAC for the course duration.
Message 3 of 15
meravc18
in reply to: pendean

I have a MacBook Air, functioning on macOS Monterey 12.5.1 My mouse is a Microsoft wireless mouse.

My question is , is there a way to make the right click of the mouse provide a drop down menu as on the PC? Or do I need to constantly find the alternate way to give the command on my AutoCAD for Mac?

Specifically at the moment I am working on a floorpan, and using layers, I am trying to "select similar" objects in my images. On a PC that comes as an option when you right click. I tried putting it into my command bar but it did not seem to function as the command I was looking for.

Thank you for your reply and your help.

Much appreciated

Message 4 of 15
maxim_k

Hi @meravc18 ,

Can you use right-click (secondary click) for context menus in other applications on your Mac?

For example in Safari browser or in TextEdit app.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 15
meravc18
in reply to: maxim_k

yes I can

Message 6 of 15
meravc18

In addition, I have followed these steps Change the following settings:

1. On the command line in AutoCAD, type OPTIONS or click Preferences under the AutoCAD program menu. 
  2. Turn on the checkbox for "Enable quick secondary click as return key" and then click OK.
  3. On the command line, type SHORTCUTMENU and set the value to 0 (zero).
  4. Go back into preferences and recheck "Enable quick secondary click as return key" as it should now be disabled.

However when I right click once I'm done setting up the above, the preference box pops up, over and over again. 

Message 7 of 15
maxim_k

Hi @meravc18 ,

You turned off shortcut menus yourself.

SHORTCUTMENU must be set to 1 so that the context menu appears when right-clicking.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 15
meravc18

I did this, and I am still unable to receive a drop down menu when I right click. 

Message 9 of 15
meravc18

I also don't understand how my preferences automatically reset and I need to continuously to the following

1. On the command line in AutoCAD, type OPTIONS or click Preferences under the AutoCAD program menu. 
  2. Turn on the checkbox for "Enable quick secondary click as return key" and then click OK.
  3. On the command line, type SHORTCUTMENU and set the value to 0 (zero). and here it seems I need to set the value to 1, as per  someones advice.
  4. Go back into preferences and recheck "Enable quick secondary click as return key" as it should now be disabled.

Message 10 of 15
maxim_k

>>>>I am still unable to receive a drop down menu when I right click.

Have you tried another mouse?

>>>>>I also don't understand how my preferences automatically reset and I need to continuously to the following

What AutoCAD version do you use? Have you installed latest Updates to it?

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 15
meravc18

I have autos 2024, there are no updates available, and I have tried three separate mouses...the same thing keeps happening with each mouse.

Message 12 of 15
maxim_k

@meravc18 wrote:

I have autos 2024, there are no updates available, and I have tried three separate mouses...the same thing keeps happening with each mouse.

Can you share screenshot of "About AutoCAD" window - menu AutoCAD -> About AutoCAD.

It should look like this:

2023-11-14_11-43-43.png

And AutoCAD version should be at least 2024.1

After installing the latest Update, try to Reset AutoCAD - menu AutoCAD -> Reset AutoCAD

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 13 of 15
meravc18

Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 10.50.22.png

Message 14 of 15
maxim_k

Yes, you need to install this update:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACDMAC/2024/ENU/?guid=AUTOCAD_MAC_2024_1_1_FIXED_ISSUES

You can download it from your Autodesk account 

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 15 of 15
meravc18

It worked!! I reset as you instructed and it works! Thank you so much, I was starting to lose my mind over this.

Thank you again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report