AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot extrude some regions.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
luis-pl
1042 Views, 6 Replies

I cannot extrude some regions.

Hello everyone.

So I have a big problem now. I have searched the Forums but I haven't found a solution for this specific problem. I hope you can help me out.

1. I drew many splines representing contour lines.
  2. I closed them all, elevated them to the corresponding Z height and created regions.
  3. All regions were successful.
  4. I then began extruding each region, the first four or so were successful, but the following regions did not extrude, there was no reaction. Not even slow or crash, just no reaction at all when I try to extrude.
  5. The smaller regions, with fewer fit points, all extrude successfully, so I am assuming that the more complex regions are to much to extrude. I have tried both Extrude and Presspull commands.

How can I overcome this problem? I spent many many hours preparing these curves so I could turn them into a solid 3D terrain, so I can cut it using a 3D milling machine.

Thank you so much if you can help me!

Below, I will attach pictures and a .DWG file

Light grey is the solid, and the dark grey is the unextruded regions.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
maxim_k
in reply to: luis-pl

Hi Lois,

I looked at your drawing and indeed - I was not able to extrude regions you mentioned in AutoCAD for Mac 2019. I also tried in 2018 and 2017 versions with the same result.
But - I was able to extrude them in AutoCAD 2016 for Mac without any problems. I also was able to extrude them in AC 2018 for Windows.
Looks like there is some kind of defect (bug) in AC for Mac since 2017 version which prevents from extruding some kind of SPLINES (regions).

The only one workaround for 2017-2019 Mac versions I have found is to explode REGIONS - this will give you splines and lines. Then you need to convert SPLINES to POLYLINES with SPLINE EDIT, then join resulting polylines with lines, then extrude.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 7
luis-pl
in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you very much for your answer. So it seems that there is a bug in this Autocad version.

I will try to Download 2016 version.

Will it affect how My current Autocad 2018 works? or if I install it will AC 2018 be overwritten?

Message 4 of 7
maxim_k

You can install AutoCAD 2016 for Mac side by side with 2019 version, but keep in mind that if you upgraded macOS to Mojave (10.14) you will not be able to install 2016 version - installer will not run on unsupported macOS version.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 7
luis-pl

Thank you Maxim Smiley Happy

I downloaded 2016 version and managed to extrude most splines. However, there were 6 lines remaining that I could not extrude somehow. My mac is already slow, so maybe it does not perform well.

Could you be so kind to extrude these remaining splines with 1m up? I cannot find other solutions Smiley Sad

Thank you so much for the help. Let's hope next Autocad updates fix this bug (How do I get developers to see this?).

Message 6 of 7
maxim_k

Here it is.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 7
luis-pl

Thank you Maxim! This was a lifesaver.

I marked your previous answer as a Solution.

You may extrude more complex regions if you explode the region, create a closed polyspline and then select the polyspline and then extrude. I managed to extrude some more than the region to solid method was not able. (This way other users can see the multiple solutions if they find the same problem as me). But then again, there was still those 6 lines that I could not manage to extrude.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report