AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting block attributes

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
2160 Views, 15 Replies

Exporting block attributes

Hello,

Im using Autocad 2019 for Mac. I have several blocks with information like numbers of items per m2. I am not able to do a multiplication from 2 different fields (area * # items/m2), and then I can't figure out how to export this data from those blocks to an excel table. Any clue of how to do this?

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Teo,

Here:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-forum/how-do-i-use-data-attribute-extraction-on-autoc...
is a post that includes a Screencast on how to go through the process of data extraction in AutoCAD 2016 for Mac. In 2019 version the workflow is the same.

And here:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-general/what-happened-to-attout/m-p/4973112#M11492
you can find a small tutorial on how to extract attributes in AutoCAD for Mac.
After you will get CDF or SDF file, you can open it in Spreadsheet editor and save as XLS file. You can use Excel, or free Open Office, or even Numbers. You can make all calculations in Spreadsheet editor and then use use Data link feature to insert Excel table to AutoCAD (if you need this).

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Thanks Maxim, 

I have seen those videos already, I have linked my table using DATALINK. My problem is that im unable to feed the attribute with the multiplication I've done in excel in order to add the numbers of plants on the polygon area.

I hope I made myself clear. (dwg is attached)

Thanks for your time.

Message 4 of 16
maxim_k

Where do you want to do the calculation? Inside block or in Excel table?
Do you want to calculate in Excel and then update attribute (field) in block?

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Best case scenario the multiplication should happen on the block itself, but if thats not possible, I was thinking that maybe a linked excel table could do the trick?

Thanks

Message 6 of 16
maxim_k

>>>>>Best case scenario the multiplication should happen on the block itself
Where do you want to get information for calculation inside block?
From the drawing objects, or you fill it manually?

BTW, in the drawing you attached attribute definitions were removed for some case from block definition, so when I insert block it doesn't have attributes at all.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 16
maxim_k

It will be better to explain your workflow in details, eg:
- I have block with attributes, which are fields (here you explain how fields get data)
- Then I want to calculate fields values from this block (or from another block...) inside another (or same block)
- Then I want to extract attributes (do you really need this, or it is just a kind of workaround you came up with to solve the computational problem?)
..... etc.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

One information should come from the area of a polygon, the second information is a value manually inserted on the block... do you think it is possible to do this multiplication within autocad?

thanks.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Ok I will try this way:

- I have a block with attributes, which are fields (The fields are manually inserted by me. Only the area is inserted trough the insert field button)

- Then I want to calculate fields values from this block inside the same block, in this case, the area of the polygon and a manually inserted factor. At the end I want to know how many plants do I need for that specific area.

- Extracting attributes to excel is the way around, since Im not getting how to do the calculations within autocad.

Let me know, 

cheers, 

Message 10 of 16
maxim_k

>>>>I want to calculate fields values from this block inside the same block
Not possible in AutoCAD for Mac, because of limited Field functionality in AutoCAD for Mac. There is no "Block placeholder" field type in AC for Mac and this feature allows to use data from current block attributes. Plus there is a bug in 2019 (and earlier versions of AutoCAD for Mac), which prevents from using formulas in Formula field type. In 2020 version it is possible to create custom formulas in fields, but with the limitation described above.
>>>>Extracting attributes to excel is the way around
Unfortunately because of the bug in 2019 and earlier versions of AC for Mac you cannot use data from tables in fields. AutoCAD shows "Invalid field code" alert when you will try to add data from table cell. In 2020 version you can use fields with data from table in the drawing.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks Maxim, 

Im quite disappointed that after so many years, Autocad for Mac still presents disadvantages towards windows. 

Thanks for your time anyways.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Hello Maxim,

I justo downloaded the 2020 Autocad trial version for Mac in order to try this. I am now able to do the multiplications within the program. 

Now, what im struggling with is, how do I create a table that contains all the information from my blocks without exporting the data to excel?

thanks for your help!

Message 13 of 16
pendean

I believe the same caveat still applies for Mac versions:

"...Not possible in AutoCAD for Mac, because of limited Field functionality in AutoCAD for Mac. There is no "Block placeholder" field type in AC for Mac and this feature allows to use data from current block attributes. ..."
Message 14 of 16
maxim_k

Create table with columns which will contain information from block attributes. Each row will contain information from one of the block insertions.

Now put fields to each cell in the row (one field - one attribute value in particular block). When you insert field to the table cell, select Objects -> Object -> Type (use button to the right of the Type list to select block in the drawing area). After you select block with attributes, you will be able to select one of the attribute (by TAG) from Property dropdown under Type dropdown. Select additional format if you need it and click on Choose button to insert Field.

Now you have a field inside table sell with attribute value from block. If you will change attribute value in the block and use REGEN, SAVE, OPEN, PLOT commands (I assume that FIELDEVAL (System Variable) = 31 as it is by default), the value in the sell will be updated according to new attribute value.

I attached rough sample.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks Maxim. The example was very clear.

Im wondering if I need to do this cell by cell, or if I can ask the program to make a table out of the blocks and fill my table automatically?

thanks 

Message 16 of 16
maxim_k

Without using data extraction you need to do this cell by cell.

In AutoCAD for Windows you can use Data Extraction wizard to extract attributes from blocks and put data extraction table to the drawing in a few steps.

Plus, on Windows side, you can update such data extraction table to reflect the changes you make with attributes. Unfortunately this is impossible in AutoCAD for Mac. Even if you will create data extraction table with attributes on PC, you will not be able to update table contents on Mac as you can do on PC.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report