cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal Properties Database

Terminal Properties Database

There needs to be an update to the Terminal Properties database.

Most terminals have the same number of connections on each side but with push in Spring/Tension Clamp terminals there is a growing trend to have two connections on one side and one on the other.

For Example...

79074200009999.jpg

This is a Weidmuller 794742000 ZDU 6/3 AN BL terminal.

As can be seen in the photo, one side has 1 connection while the other side has 2.

There are many brands and variations on this type of terminal which ACADE needs to keep up with.

The most urgent need at this stage would be to change the Terminal Properties database so that we can set individual connection numbers per side rather than having the one value do both sides.

Regards Brad

19 Comments
vikas.vaishnav
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Please elaborate your idea, do you want the enhancements in a specific dialog (TSE) or any other workflow?

Thanks,

AutoCAD Electrical Team

Icemanau
Mentor

The TSE is usually the function that shows connections per side for a terminal, so this would be an ideal place for this data to be implemented.

Any other functions that uses the connection numbers per side would also need to have this implemented to fully utilise the enhancement.

To go with this enhancement, you would also need to be able to reverse a terminal strip on the din rail within the TSE and any other associated terminal functions.

It is logical that if you have different connection per side that people are going to want to reverse the terminal strip to allow the dual connections on one side or the other. Especially if some maufacterers only make them in one orientation and not the other.

Regards Brad

Anonymous
Not applicable

If it is fact in life, it should be fact in AE...

I have seen these terminals and dread any of our shop/controls personnel getting wind of them... my life would become hell if they wanted to use them.

Because I have no solution for this native to AE. I would have to write it, or trick AE in some way to make these types of terminals work.

Any terminal function should be able to deal with these types of terminals.

fused terminals and switched terminals also exist in the real world... AE doesn't have a solution for these types in the TSE, they would have to be custom blocks and built in the panel by hand.

ermolov-s
Advocate

Icemenau say: The most urgent need at this stage would be to change the Terminal Properties database so that we can set individual connection numbers per side rather than having the one value do both sides.

And for side with 2 connection - internal jumper set in the database. Each side of terminal must have individual internal jumper set.

Kelly_Shuman
Advocate

RE: Icemanau: "you would also need to be able to reverse a terminal strip on the din rail within the TSE and any other associated terminal functions."

Highlighting multiple terminals in the TSE and switching terminal destinations would be great to help arrange terminals.

That being said, I think changing the rotation angle 180° and sorting the rows in the opposite number sequence accomplishes the goal of rotating a full din rail, currently. 

I always put all jumpered terminals blocks in the same orientation, but I could imagine someone might swap which side the jumper is on for routing efficiency.  The JUMPER wire layer could even be utilized with this somehow.  I think this is similer to what ermolov-s was saying.

Also, I would like to manage all thes wire connections from a spreadsheet without importing and exporting files.  Because, the TSE is like a spreadsheet, but is difficult to control individual elements.  Hotkeys would improve control.  But if the TSE represented the real terminal block better, all would be well; 

And, wire connections should be transferable between duplicate terminal numbers with jumpers in the TSE.

An alternative workflow might introduce wire connections to groups of terminal blocks upon insertion. This next shot doesn't work, but something about it seems appealing:

TERMINAL BLOCK EDITOR.png

Kelly_Shuman
Advocate

@Anonymous 

I am waiting for the shop to call up and ask how I plan to fit two wires into the jumper side of a terminal block.  And I have to tell them that the second wire goes to the empty spare right next to it.  And that for all my AutoCAD ability, I cannot move that tiny description to the other terminal, but I can put four wires into a three wire terminal block and it makes perfect sense.  Then, I will explain that the folks at Autodesk are working on that fix.  And that we cannot have cake; we can only eat it. 

vikas.vaishnav
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for you feedback and explanation. We appreciate your help. We will keep this idea under consideration for TSE enhancements.

Regards,

AutoCAD Electrical Team. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has this idea been implemented in AutoCAD Electrical yet?

Thanks,

Goutham

ermolov-s
Advocate

No. And probably will not be implemented soon. The last three years of changes in the program is very small - the shortcomings are not corrected, new functions are not added.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an idea that needs to be implemented. I have been tasked with getting our masters set up so we can send them out to vendors and have them wire to specific points on the panel.  Also the report generator detailing the connections mashes up the terminals in ways I have yet to untangle, and make sense.

janssen_l
Advocate

Any updates to report?

klonbeck
Advocate

Still looking for this.

smonetus
Participant

Why is this feature not implemented yet.

This style of terminal block is very common and in use everywhere.

There are some talented users out there that have come up with workarounds to this issue but it would be so much cleaner if the TSE would allow for more than two connections to a terminal block.

Would definitely like to see this implemented.

Status changed to: Future Consideration

jshubert5DQTL
Observer

Future Consideration? This was identified in 2022. It's still a problem. It's also annoying that there isn't a native single sided symbol and we have to dance around with fake multi-levels.

nicolas-v
Contributor

Still no concrete consideration about it?

rhesusminus
Mentor

Honestly?
Have you seen what you've got for the last 8 releases? And you expect Autodesk to make such a huge change to the program?
What's new AcadE 2017 - 2023: https://youtu.be/TDCSXA83hTU
What's new AcadE 2024: https://youtu.be/TDCSXA83hTU and https://youtu.be/h8f4G83iSFk

Have a look and tell me why you should keep waiting for Autodesk to do anything about this.

nicolas-v
Contributor

Oh, I see...😶

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report