cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal numbering multi-level blocks

Terminal numbering multi-level blocks

When we use terminal blocks, we number the blocks in order down the strip (obviously) 01, 02, 03, etc.

With multi-level blocks, we add a letter-suffix at the end of the number.  A corresponds to the top level, B below that, C is the bottom of a 3-level block, etc.  This is common practice as far as I know.

Currently it is a very cumbersome process to accomplish this.  I have to number all the blocks Per-Level, so that the tops are all numbered 01, 02, 03, etc.  For a 20-block strip, the bottoms will be numbered 21, 22, 23, etc.  Now, for every individual block, I have to click the single block, renumber Per-Terminal, add an A suffix, and then it will add the B, C to the lower levels of that block.  Repeat for every single block on the strip.  

Down the road, as I am dealing with today, if I need to insert a block?  FML.  Do it all over again, for every individual block.

We absolutely need to be able to number multi-level blocks with a suffix

2 Comments
testsubject
Advisor

Have you thought about changing the way you number the terminals and use what is available? It is faster and you would then not need to do everything you do now.

I currently use three tier terminals and number each block 1,2,3; 4,5,6; 7,8,9; etc. I did have to write an excel spreadsheet to put them in order to be able to be printed but now it it very easy to renumber when I need to. (The printing is 1,4,7; 2,5,8; 3,6,9...)

Sometimes when making the transistion to a software based solution, you need to make changes to how you do something to take advantage what it has to offer.

Just a suggestion....

Anonymous
Not applicable

I say making the terminal strip editor allow for terminal numbers with suffixes is more proper.

It would be more readable to number them as 1U, 1M, 1L, and so one down the line.

And to have those numbers report in the schematic as well.

One cannot know what level a terminal is from looking at a schematic... why not?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report