cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inserting components on dashed/hidden lines should not fail....

inserting components on dashed/hidden lines should not fail....

It is pretty common practice to show "wired by customer" wires on a non-continous (hidden/dashed usually) linetype in industrial schematics.

These non-continous linetypes cause issues with inserting components.

If the insertion point of the a wire number, or component, falls on the penup portion of the non-continous line... things will go badly.

3 phase components are very problematic as the child insertions can fail horribly and not be inserted on the phase they should have been but will often skip wires and then be inserted in empty space or other unpredictable behaviour.

Multiple cable component insertions will often fail to insert correctly on non-continous linetypes as well.

Wire numbers will often disassociate from their wires if their insertion points fall on penup portions of non-continous lines.

I would expect component insertion, move, scoot, align, and wire numbers should all work on non-continous linetypes exactly like they do on continous linetpyes.

6 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not run into this yet but am very surprised that is works like that.  Has to be something in how the code detects a line underneath a pin.  But it should find hidden ones too.

rhesusminus
Mentor

This seems to be a general AutoCAD flaw. Just try to use a standard AutoCAD command where you get the select objects:  prompt, and type f to select by fence....

Nevertheless.. This really should be fixed!

Anonymous
Not applicable

rhesusminus,

not sure how a "regular" autocad insert command is gonna work better than the "wd_3unit"  the built in reactors for tagging and other updates wouldn't happend with a regular autocad command.

We always try to use the AE command if it exists. Just makes life go smoother, most of the time....

wd_3unit  only ask you up? or down? left? or right?

the fence insert also fails for cable insertions (just tested it).

Even scooting things onto penup portions can cause issues.

rhesusminus
Mentor

Oh, I didn't mean that regular AutoCAD should insert the symbole. I just pointed out that the problem of not being able to select a wire when you hit the "gap", is a regular AutoCAD problem, and not specific to AutoCAD Electrical.

In this video, I try to erase 4 wires, using the fence option for the erase command. As I draw the fence through a "gap" in on of the wires, this wire is not deleted. Hence... This is a AutoCAD problem, not an AutoCAD Electrical problem.

t_chaws
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your suggestion. 

We will look into your idea for our future releases.

Best Regards, 

AutoCAD Electrical team

Anonymous
Not applicable

well they moved this to future consideration... so hopefully they'll just fix the whole noncontinuous linetypes issues as noted above by

two birds...

one stone.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report