cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add record: description field should not allow illegal length descriptions

add record: description field should not allow illegal length descriptions

when creating a new catalogue item and inputting the "DESCRIPTION" text... if the text input is longer than the allowed field length (150 characters) in the database, you get a very unhelpful error: "The location of the catalog database is read-only, please ensure that you have write access to the  location of the file and try again." --OK is only button to push.

this error doesn't even begin to help you figure out what the REAL problem is in this case.

The "Add Catalog Record" allows you to paste, or type, any number of characters into that box and it won't prevent you from doing that.

It should advise you that you exceeded the allowed field length and let you try again when you push o.k.

1 Comment
mathalekar
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Hello @Anonymous 

When i try to follow your workflow, i could get only warning message for exceeding 150 char. length for description and when i am within range, it gets added in database without any issue.

It appears that the catalog database that you are working on is likely not available for WRITING & is in READ ONLY mode. We have put some checks for such cases and if the application sees it it will primarily display this check first and later it will show exceeding character case later when database becomes available for writing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report