AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undescribed Error when trying to open/save new project

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
476 Views, 5 Replies

Undescribed Error when trying to open/save new project

Brand New Install, 30 Day Trial.

Step 1: Click 'Templates, and select one.

Step 2:Page loads with template.

Step 3: Select "New Project"

Step 4: Give project a name. all other settings at default.

Step 5: Click OK (Properties) or just OK

I get a small square box with a ha=zard triangle, no description of the error, nothing. Just a triangle and 'OK'

Click OK

Return to step 4

Endless loop. Unable to use any part of software.

So, what's the go here? How do I get the basic thing going?

Labels (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rhesusminus
in reply to: Anonymous

Instead of going all cowboy... How about looking at the learning resources in the program?
2021-02-24_12-44-24.png

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 6
jseefdrumr

The software comes with demo projects that should have been visible in the Project Manager when you first opened the software. First, did you see those? Second, did you open them and try to navigate around and do stuff?

The first thing here is to check the demo projects and see how they behave. Try to copy one of them using AECOPYPROJECT and see if you get a similar error. If you see that error again, it could be a privileges issue.

Also, make sure that the location you want to save the project to is one that you have read/write permissions for. Ideally, all ACADE users should have administration-level privileges on their workstations.

If everything about your permissions checks out, then start playing in the demo projects to make sure your install is healthy. Look up the Hitchhiker's Guide to AutoCAD Electrical in HELP and start trying to do some of the tasks it describes using the demo projects.

If the demo projects don't behave right - if they keep throwing up weird errors like this - then do a reinstall. If the demo projects seem OK and your install seems healthy, then it's possible you have another issue unrelated to ACADE. At that point I'd be looking at which version of Windows you have, is it updated, does your workstation meet the minimum requirements for ACADE, etc.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: rhesusminus

Thanks for the implied rebuke. I'm not 'going all cowboy' as you call it, I'm following a tutorial just like you suggest. When I follow the tutorial it gives the error.

The tutorial says to give the project a name, and click ok(properties) - but doesn't say what to do if it now freezes up and gives an undescribed error.

Message 5 of 6
trabuck7

I have come across this type of error before (and it's been awhile since), but I seem to recall I had fixed the problem by running a repair on the .NET framework that was installed on my PC. I can't say this will fix your problem (since it doesn't say what the actual error is) but you could try that at least and see where that gets you. The only other thing would be to uninstall AutoCAD and re-install it fresh. I hope one of those two darts hit the bullseye. 

Tyler Rabuck
Tags (1)
Message 6 of 6
jseefdrumr

In retrospect, I'm now wondering what other problems might be affected by repairing the .NET framework....great suggestion Tyler. Anything that might prevent a reinstall is worth the effort of trying, IMHO.

Jim Seefeldt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report