AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Electrical Drawings created in straight AutoCAD to AutoCAD Electrical

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
643 Views, 2 Replies

Convert Electrical Drawings created in straight AutoCAD to AutoCAD Electrical

I want to take Electrical Drawings created in straight AutoCAD and move them into the AutoCAD Electrical "Project" structure. I want to figure out the best way to make this transition.

I want to move all the existing drawing information into Smart Borders so they can be added to AutoCAD Electrical "Project" structure so all the drawings can be managed as the logical group they are. 

Once drawings are managed as a Project then I would like to do the requested modifications or new additions with AutoCAD Electrical. Most customers won't pay for a complete drawing updates. Many advantages of using AutoCAD Electrical for drawing will be available.

All new work is done in AutoCAD Electrical and old work is still as good as it was.
I believe every drawing set needs to get better or it gets worse because we aren't even trying to keep up.

Even if we can't upgrade the whole set we should at least do the new additions or modifications.
Am I thinking right?

What is the easiest way to get the old drawing information into new Smart Borders and Title Blocks.

I know how to cut and paste the information from the old drawing less border and tittle block into new smart border and tittle block. Is there an easier way to do all the drawings as a group? Before or after added to a Project?

Note:
I have not worked with electrical drawings in straight AutoCAD
I am proposing doing this work in AutoCAD Electrical 2019.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences and recommendations on this subject!

Thank You for your input in advance. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jseefdrumr
in reply to: Anonymous

The general process isn't too crazy. But, you may be in for a lot of work if you want to take the old Vanilla ACAD stuff and make it 100% ACADE-compatible. It all depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

First, create a smart title block. There are good walkthroughs in HELP, also check out Doug McAlexander's website. Incorporate this into a template. I keep a separate template for schematics, one for panel layouts, and one for pneumatics. It would be best to use a template size that is the same or very close to what exists in the vanilla drawings.

Once you have a template, start a new project in the Project Manager. Then, create a new blank drawing using your template. Save it in the project folder. That drawing will likely need some sort of configuration in the drawing settings - these will sort of depend on how your company does things. After that, you can bring in the vanilla stuff. Normally, I would recommend that you use the 'copy circuit' function but it won't matter here because nothing that you're copying is carrying any intelligence yet. (But once you're working within an actual ACADE drawing, you should stop using vanilla commands. Only use the ones offered by ACADE or you could break intelligence somewhere.) So, anyway, copy that stuff over, it really doesn't matter how, and then go back to the Project Manager. There, you will right-click on your project and select 'Add Current Drawing'. You'll be asked if you want to apply project properties to this drawing, and then it will become a part of your new project.

Continue like this until you have populated an entire project with the old vanilla stuff. After that, you will technically have an ACADE project with all of your old work. However, none of it has any intelligence. ACADE won't be able to garner any info from the blocks and other entities as they exist. That means no reports, no updates (except to the title block you made), etc. So you will now have to go through on a drawing-by-drawing basis and start tweaking things.

What needs to be tweaked? Depends on your specific needs, and this is where the rabbit hole gets deep. In order to use blocks, ACADE wants them to be named a certain way. If blocks aren't named according to the naming scheme mapped out in HELP, ACADE will pass right over them when it comes time to run a report or update. Also, it expects to see certain attributes inside blocks. These are actually what hold the data that appear in reports, and the data used by the software when running updates and other project-level commands.

Furthermore, 'wires' are a distinct entity in ACADE. They can only be lines, never a polyline or arc, and must be on a designated wire layer. Otherwise, the software won't recognize the line as a wire, versus some other graphical object. When you use the Insert Wire command, this is all done for you. But, with drawings that came from vanilla ACAD, you're in a whole different boat. There are commands available to convert lines to wires.

You may benefit from the Swap/Update Block command. For common symbols, such as circuit breakers or relays, this will work well and can be done across the whole project at once. Be aware, the block names matter. If you have a relay symbol on the first drawing that looks the same as one on the third drawing, but they have different names from one another, then the swap block command will only grab one. You'd have to run the command again for the differently-named relay. If there are any custom blocks in the vanilla stuff, you may need to recreate them in ACADE, or edit them in Symbol Builder before trying the swap command.

That covers most of what you're looking to do. Remember the rabbit hole and try not to get lost, lol.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Great Answer!
This could be marked as the solution and may be. BUT for now I would like to keep it open and see if we have any other input. Is there any way to simplify the process further using a LISP Routine or any other ideas?

There has to be a lot of people with the same problem.

How to convert "antique" Vanilla CAD Electrical Drawings to the AutoCAD Electrical Drawings.

For this forum question we need to avoid the rabbit hole because nothing will change except what is in the scope of the "Upgrade Project". The project and the upgrades will be in complete AutoCAD Electrical format, the rest of the drawing set stays how it was, nested in the AutoCAD Electrical Project.

REV could be coded and prefixed with ACE (AutoCAD Electrical) to identify portions of project have been upgraded to the AutoCAD Electrical format.

I am imagining that after a couple of upgrades over several years the drawing set will get closer and closer to 100% AutoCAD Electrical format. As I stated before "If each revision to a drawing set doesn't get better it gets worse because it isn't keeping up with technology.

Thank You for reading and adding information to this post. Many ideas give people like me a combination of solutions that we might be able to sell to our companies so we can help move the process forward. I know it is not easy because so many people are stuck in the Vanilla AutoCAD rut and can't find there way out.

LISP or?

Thank You

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report