AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can AutoCAD Electrical calculate quantity and type of Ferrules / Crimps?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
lou.branchaud
744 Views, 2 Replies

Can AutoCAD Electrical calculate quantity and type of Ferrules / Crimps?

Can AutoCAD Electrical calculate how many ferrules you'll need and which type (according to wire gauge)?

My solution for this has always been to provide a chart with which ferrules to use on which wire-types; simply because ferrules cost pennies, and it's not worth engineering hours to provide something that's this trivial.

However, I've been tasked with a way to figure this out.

Is there an existing function in AutoCAD Electrical that allows me to do this?  Or will I have to get clever with a script?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TRLitsey
in reply to: lou.branchaud

Hi there,

Sorry if this is not what you are looking for but for assembly drawing for things like panels and cables, we put those individual items in the drawing.  If the item is in a drawing with the correct attribute information there are a few reports, like a BOM, that will sum the quantities. 

Good luck

Screenshot - 3_18_2019 , 11_31_54 AM.png 

Screenshot - 3_18_2019 , 11_33_05 AM.png

Please mark as a solution if this works for you, kudos are always welcome
Message 3 of 3
testsubject
in reply to: lou.branchaud

For AutoCAD Electrical to be able to count anything, it has to first exist in the Schematic or Panel drawings.

That being said, if you add a ferrule symbol with catalog data to the schematic, it will show up in all the reports.

I have embedded some things as multi-catalog items to have them added to the BOM but I do not think that ferrules would work with this automatically because you could possibly use different ferrules with the same terminal.

I suppose that a program (lisp) could be written that checks which wire is attached to a terminal and add the specific ferrule to the terminal's multi-catalog but that is beyond me. It also seems like a lot of work with little payout given the cost of ferrules....

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report