AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Electrical Title Block Template Default

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1020 Views, 3 Replies

AutoCAD Electrical Title Block Template Default

I'm using AutoCAD Electrical 2018 at my company.  I've been using CAD Electrical for almost 7 years now and I'm trying to update and revamp the title block they use here, make it better.  I've had success in the past setting up a title block with the default.wdl and had no problems but I'm running into one now.  So CAD Electrical has 4 types of methods for setting up the block.  1.) "project".wdl, 2.) default.wdl version 1, 3.) default.wdl version 2, 4.) WD_TB style.  I was use to using a form of default.wdl in the past and it worked but i'm struggling now.  I'm not sure if there's something going on that was done wrong with these title blocks before I got to this company, but here's my problem:

I create a title block, set it up using one of the methods, save it as a template, and start creating a new job that I want to call "SEED PROJECT" that I can use as a reference for all future jobs (screen shot 1).  When i click on descriptions, I see all the correct information on each Line # that I made with my title block creation (screen shot 2).  After making the project, I choose "NEW DRAWING", choose my template, and it loads ok, but when I right click on job and choose descriptions, all my Line Descriptions just say "Line 1, Line 2, etc (screen shot 3).  How can I create a seed project with the correct template and descriptions that I can use as a reference project everytime I create a NEW PROJECT?  How do I set it up to make sure the correct DESCRIPTION LINES are there everytime and not generic "LINE 1, LINE 2, etc?  What is the best DEFAULT.WDL to use for this case.  Thanks.create projectcreate project

with descriptionswith descriptionswithout descriptionswithout descriptions

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

The projectname_wdtitle.wdl file, or default_wdtitle.wdl file controls the prompts you get for the project description fields.  Learn more about this on the Tips/Tricks page of my Website.  It is covered in the 12-step guide for creating a border template.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Doug, I went through your steps.  Everything seemed to work.  But when I create a new project and use my seed project as a reference, my Project Descriptions still show up as Line1, Line2, Line3, etc.  I have to go copy the default.wdl file and paste it into my new project folder in order to get the descriptions to show up properly.  I don't want to have to do that.  I want to use a seed project as a reference for all new jobs and have the descriptions automatically be there.  Note, I used the WD_TB (method 2) option.  Unless that is the issue.  Should I use one of the Default.WDT versions (Method 1)?

Message 4 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Anonymous

You should only create a new project once, actually. After that,copy the seed project to begin a new design.  You don't have to copy all drawings from the seed project if you don't need them.  Eventually, you will probably not even copy a seed project.  You will accumulate enough real projects that a new design can be a tweak of an existing project.

When you copy a project, the software will automatically offer to copy the support files it finds in the project folder, such as WDW, _WDTITLE.WDL, WDA,etc.  It will also copy any project specific databases it finds, such as a projectname_cat.mdb file. It will even rename them to the new project name, as appropriate.

Note that you could place the default_wdtitle.wdl file in the search path, such as your User folder, or the AeData folder and you won't need it inside the project folder. I like to keep it inside the project folder so I can just copy the whole folder to my laptop, in case I need to work on the project as I travel, which is the norm for me.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report