AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Component Retag Doesn't Work on a Drawing

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1373 Views, 12 Replies

Component Retag Doesn't Work on a Drawing

In a particular project, I have one drawing in which a "component retag" command fails. Instead of retagging a component, it just adds a "?" at the beginning of the component name. If I retag the component again, it adds another "?". When I place a new component, the "edit component" dialog box doesn't show up, it just drops the component on the drawing with the tagname consisting of only the tag family. Wire numbering works fine.

I tried a few things, like AEREBUILDDB, checking the drawing number was properly shown in the drawing properties, applying project defaults to the drawing, etc. and I can't figure out what is going on. I am sure it is something simple, but I cannot figure it out. 

Help would be appreciated! I attached two file. One, where I dropped a solenoid on the drawing. It showed up tagged as "SOL". After a re-tag, it changed to "?SOL"

Labels (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ramesh.kambang
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you try placing this solenoid on one of the demo or project drawings? 

Ramesh Kambang
Aerospace System/Design Engineer and eVTOL/EWIS Expert
EASA 21J, UK 21J, MAA DAOS, Certification Specification CS23-29, CS-ANCS, CS-STAN and EVTOL
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: ramesh.kambang

Yes, I did. It works fine. Any component placed on this particular drawing though doesn't seem to work.

Message 4 of 13
ramesh.kambang

Try this:

1. remove /delete that component.  If there are more than one same solenoid symbols on the drawing, delete them as well. 
  2. purge all blocks  and try to insert it again.

Ramesh Kambang
EASA 21J, UK 21J, MAA DAOS, Certification Specification CS23-29, CS-ANCS, CS-STAN and EVTOL
Message 5 of 13
alds02

I have seen the question mark when something is wrong with the ladder*, but that would also happen when you insert a component, not just when retagging. Did you try this in other drawings in your current project?

* For example, delete the top number in the ladder: the other numbers still appear but this has made the ladder "dead"

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: alds02

I will rebuild the ladder. The problem occurs both when inserting a component (no auto tag naming) and when trying to re-tag. Other drawings in the project work. I'll let you know if it works.
Message 7 of 13
jseefdrumr

I sometimes see tags like this when copying devices with fixed tags using the circuit clipboard...usually they point to me copying something that had a fixed tag. However, un-fixing the tags, retagging, and then re-fixing them usually clears it up. But I'm not convinced that's what you're seeing here.

Can we have some insight into the workflow you're using?
*why is the retag even needed...was the component moved or copied? If so, was that done using the appropriate ACADE commands?
*if you insert a component from the Icon Menu in a different drawing from the same project, do you get this behavior or does it go as expected? Do you see the Edit Component dialog?

I'm wondering if a Reset to Defaults is warranted here, because you mentioned that you don't get the Edit Component dialog when inserting a symbol. Have you done that? rEset to Defaults fixes a lot of weird, inexplicable issues like this.

If this is only happening in the one drawing, try auditing the drawing. (Note, this is vanilla AUDIT, not the electrical version.) Just enter AUDIT at the command line and answer Y when it asks to fix mistakes. After that, immediately purge all blocks, and then immediately rebuild the project database (AEREBUILDDB at the command line).

Personally, I think I would audit first, then Reset to Defaults. If these both fail, I would probably assume the drawing is corrupted somehow and redraw it....provided all other drawings behave normally.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Message 8 of 13
ramesh.kambang

If it works on the other drawings, probably drawing is corrupt. You can try acade reset or try other fixing options. I would normally create a new drawing to save time and hassle.  

Ramesh Kambang
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

I renamed the drawing, created a new one (copied a known working drawing and deleted all of the schematics in it), then pasted the schematic from the bad drawing into the new one, and it worked. Thanks for your suggestion!

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: alds02

Great suggestion. I deleted the number ladder and recreated it.... same problem though.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

That was a great suggestion - unfortunately, I already had seen your next suggestion, which was to just create a new drawing. So that is what I did. I renamed the drawing, created a new one (copied a known working drawing and deleted all of the schematics in it), then pasted the schematic from the bad drawing into the new one, and it worked. I deleted the old renamed (bad) drawing, Thanks for your suggestion, through!

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: jseefdrumr

Good suggestions and thanks for your long response.

I re-tag often, usually when I change the drawing to a new number. Sometimes I manually move a device when scooting won't work, too, and have to re-tag. I usually try to follow the rules when copying/pasting in electrical by using the ACADE functions.

The drawing was corrupt in some way, and I didn't figure out how. It wasn't just the block for the solenoid, as all inserted devices would fail. I ended up copying the schematic into a new drawing and now it works. Go figure.

Message 13 of 13
jseefdrumr

It's rare to actually determine exactly how or why a dwg file became corrupted.

However, one way that a drawing can become corrupt is by copying it, renaming it, and editing it. Over time, the copies accumulate errors that are then copied into the next generation. This eventually leads to sporadic drawing behavior or other instabilities.

'Best Practice' drafting, such as running AUDIT on a drawing, purging it of unused data, etc. don't always seem to prevent this kind of corruption.

I once had to redo a drawing that had been copied and renamed numerous times for over a decade. The original one was from the early 2000's. The more recent copies were giving us problems - failing the AUDIT command, random crashes and instabilities. So the decision was made to redraw the base file. We still had the original but I didn't know - I redrew the whole thing. When we found it, and made comparisons to the newer versions of it that had been copied and renamed over and over, it had zero problems. Everything that didn't work in the copies, worked in the original. Despite being way over 10 years old, that drawing was fine.

Because of that, I try to avoid copying whole drawings repeatedly. Once is the limit. If it's absolutely necessary to copy a whole drawing beyond that, I'll WBLOCK the graphics in the drawing and paste them into a fresh one, as this keeps out any unused bloat that might be in the original. But I no longer copy a dwg, and rename it as something else.

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta