AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLOW LOADING PDF FILES CREATED FROM AUTOCAD

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
3778 Views, 7 Replies

SLOW LOADING PDF FILES CREATED FROM AUTOCAD

We have been creating PDF files for digital permit submittal for a few years now & the main complaint I get from outside agencies is that our PDF files take much longer to load than everyone else's.  I have searched & tried a few different options, however, nothing has helped. We also have a huge issue when printing from PDF as they go through a very long "Flattening" process even though they are created without any layers.

Below are some of the settings we use, please let me know if more info is needed.  Thank you all in advance!!!!

PLOT SETUP SCREEN.JPGPLOTTER CONFIG SCREEN 1.JPGDWG TO PDF PROPERTIES SCREEN.JPG 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
leothebuilder
in reply to: Anonymous

What file size are the typical PDF's you create?

Are they single file PDF or Multiple?

If multiple sheet file, how many sheets?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: leothebuilder

- Between 300KB & 1.9MB

- Mainly single sheet files, however, the flattening issue happens with multi-page files from 2 - 150 pages...obviously the more pages the worse it gets.

Message 4 of 8
leothebuilder

I have had the same with the flattening process when printing 50 or 80 page PDF files.

As for loading a typical single PDF of 300 kb or 1.5 meg what is the concern? How long does it take to open the PDF?

Do you have the problem with all PDF's? 

Or just some PDF's?

Sometimes when you have a lot of hatches PDF's can be slow............

Message 5 of 8
pendean

PDF content (lots of hatches, text etc.) and PDF file size and how many sheets in a PDF all contribute to slow load times. Nothing in your posted settings are going to help if those are the actual problems. You can remove the flattening issue by not including layers in the PDFs: if that's needed, then that's the price they have to pay for that requirement.

Are they slow loading on your PC?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

The PDF's are created without layers and we still get the flattening issue.  No, they load very slowly on the building department computers, however, when they open a comparable pdf from any other Firm, it opens instantly.....

Message 7 of 8
pendean

Test it all out with a 3rd party 'free' PDF driver and see if the problem remains for your local jurisdiction office: free pdf drivers will ignore all AutoCAD settings for layers and other pdf settings.

We don't see 'flattening' issues here with no-layers and no-bookmarks with the DWG to PDF driver. Unless I'm missing something else going on... .
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I will most definitely try the 3rd party drivers, thank you!  Also, never thought about No bookmarks......let me see if that alleviates the issue.

Thank you for all your help, I will post when I get something to work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report