AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distances/Line Lengths randomly change

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
sebastianbmgoerner
825 Views, 7 Replies

Distances/Line Lengths randomly change

I've been struggling with this issue since upgrading to AutoCAD 2019. 

I will draw lines with specific values and later on when i go back to lines i drew previously they will have changed by a few decimal points. 

This is very annoying when trying to do designs and drawings as distances and lines are not perfectly matching up and their lengths are no longer what i wanted them to be.

I hope someone can help me. 

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

How do assign the "specific values" to these lines?

What is the precision of your Units settings?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: sebastianbmgoerner

Couple of other considerations;

• Are the lines in question very large or a very long way from the 0,0,0 origin?
  • Is a grid + snapmode 'rounding' pick points by snapping to grid
Message 4 of 8
sebastianbmgoerner
in reply to: Anonymous

I work in mm and lines are usually a few metres long. Usually i am working near the origin. 

An example of what might happen:

I would offset a line (eg. by 1500mm) and then make that line 5000mm long. Then i continue working in the drawing and when i come back to those lines the distance between them (that i had previously offset) will have changed to something like 1498.95mm and the length of the line would also have slightly changed to something like 4999.876mm.

i hope this helps with understanding my problem. 

Message 5 of 8

You did not mention HOW you make the lines a set distance.

Also, check and make sure all the lines are at 0 (zero) elevation.

If the Z value varies you will get strange results.

Message 6 of 8

I set the distances by drawing the line command, setting the starting point aiming it in the correct direction and typing in the distance and then pressing enter. 

Message 7 of 8

How do you know they changed, what method are you using to check them?
And are you actually checking them after you draw them, or assume they are correct and them only check much later on?

Do you have running osnaps on?

How are you offsetting then drawing lines by "pulling in the direction and typing a distance" exactly? Are you sure you are starting with a correct length to start with?

Can you post a DWG file with this problem so we can all see for ourselves what you have and are doing? We all draft all day long in the program, there is no such change-on-its-own thing going on.

TIA

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: sebastianbmgoerner

^^I have this exact problem too. I inserted a 0 degree, 194mm line by clicking a starting point (orthomode on, no other objects around so not snapped to anything) and typing in 194. I moved the line to a new location using the Move function. I took the dimension of the line once again (orthomode still on) and it read 193.97. And this dimension was found by mousing over the object, not selecting beginning and end, so there's not a chance of bad snapping either.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report