Community
Arnold for Houdini Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Houdini and Solaris using the HtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solaris - Output Variance AOV missing

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Reply
Message 1 of 14
am_wilkins
288 Views, 13 Replies

Solaris - Output Variance AOV missing

Hi,

 

I've noticed that the "Render Settings" option to "Output Variance AOV" is missing in Solaris.


Is this required for Noice? I tried to manually add N, Z and Diffuse_Alebdo AOV however, when using the "arnold_denoiser" (default settings) in the OUT context, it's not producing a denoised resulting image.

This was just trying to denoise the "RGBA" EXR, multilayered.

 

Any pointers to denoising with Noice and Solaris?

 

all the best,

amwilkins

 

 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: am_wilkins

Noice is not supported yet in Solaris. There's no way to set it up.

Yes, you could probably set up the all AOVs manually, but then there's no way to get the required metadata into the EXR. noice depends on specific EXR metadata.

 

Have you tried OIDN? We've had some good feedback from customers on that denoiser.

 

 

For reference, here's the ticket for supporting the noice workflow:



// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 14
am_wilkins
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Hi Stephen,

 

Ah, that's a shame.

Will stand-by for this feature.

 

"Have you tried OIDN? We've had some good feedback from customers on that denoiser."

Oh that's cool to hear.
I'm specifically after a good "temporally stable" denoiser, I've tried to do some more research on Optix and OIDN to see if this was the case but it didn't seem to be. Do you know if either denoiser would work on multiple frames/animation?

 

amwilkins

Message 4 of 14
am_wilkins
in reply to: am_wilkins

Hi again,

 

I see an article from 2021 regarding temporal being added to Optix 7.3 or later.
"The OptiX denoiser comes with a brand new denoising mode called temporal denoising, which is engineered to denoise multi-frame animation sequences without getting any of the low-frequency denoiser artifacts in the animation that you get when you denoise animated frames separately. The results are impressively smooth, and this update will be a boon to users of the OptiX denoiser who want to remove noise from moving sequences. This has been one of our most requested features and now it’s here. This release of the OptiX denoiser comes with yet another performance increase as well, and the recent AOV (layered) denoising and brand new temporal denoising are fast enough on the current generation of NVIDIA GPUs to be used in real time for interactive applications, with plenty of room to spare for rendering."

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/new-nvidia-optix-enhancements-that-improve-your-ray-tracing-applic...

 

Is this not available in Arnold yet?

 

thanks,

amwilkins

Message 5 of 14
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: am_wilkins


@am_wilkins wrote:

Hi Stephen,

 

Ah, that's a shame.

Will stand-by for this feature.

 

"Have you tried OIDN? We've had some good feedback from customers on that denoiser."

Oh that's cool to hear.
I'm specifically after a good "temporally stable" denoiser, I've tried to do some more research on Optix and OIDN to see if this was the case but it didn't seem to be. Do you know if either denoiser would work on multiple frames/animation?

 

amwilkins


I think you have to try OIDN, it will depend on what type of animation. Some customers do use it on animated frames.



// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 6 of 14
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: am_wilkins


@am_wilkins wrote:

Hi again,

 

I see an article from 2021 regarding temporal being added to Optix 7.3 or later.
"The OptiX denoiser comes with a brand new denoising mode called temporal denoising, which is engineered to denoise multi-frame animation sequences without getting any of the low-frequency denoiser artifacts in the animation that you get when you denoise animated frames separately. The results are impressively smooth, and this update will be a boon to users of the OptiX denoiser who want to remove noise from moving sequences. This has been one of our most requested features and now it’s here. This release of the OptiX denoiser comes with yet another performance increase as well, and the recent AOV (layered) denoising and brand new temporal denoising are fast enough on the current generation of NVIDIA GPUs to be used in real time for interactive applications, with plenty of room to spare for rendering."

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/new-nvidia-optix-enhancements-that-improve-your-ray-tracing-applic...

 

Is this not available in Arnold yet?

 

thanks,

amwilkins


No, not yet.

 

For reference, the ticket is

ARNOLD-12060
Temporal Optix denoising



// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 7 of 14
am_wilkins
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Okay, adding to my list. 👍

 

On this topic, it would require building it and using command line etc. ?
Applied as an arnold imager would simply bake the denoise into the rendered frames and not produce a "_denoised" version of the image? Or is their another way to use OIDN with Arnold? (similar to Noice)

 

 

Thanks!

Message 8 of 14
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: am_wilkins

Yes, OIDN would be an imager. And the OIDN imager has an Output Suffix parameter, so you can output the denoised version in a different layer.



// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 9 of 14
am_wilkins
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

Okay, I see it... somehow hadn't noticed that field before.
Thank you very much.

Message 10 of 14

Hi,

from what I tried output suffix works only with sick, not with husk, sounds right to you?

Message 11 of 14


@supervisorAlone wrote:

Hi,

from what I tried output suffix works only with sick, not with husk, sounds right to you?


husk with Arnold product type?



// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 12 of 14

I need custom aov, cause I don't use arnoldrendersettings with husk...let me try!

 

Message 13 of 14

no, it doesn't create the aov with the suffix

Message 14 of 14
am_wilkins
in reply to: am_wilkins

Hi everyone,

 

I also haven't managed to get the example: "RGBA_denoised" AOV assuming a "_denoised" suffix has been added while rendering with husk.

 

Haven't completely finished testing with arnold product type etc. but at least within the Houdini scene rendering locally I haven't seen that "_denoised" AOV pop up.

Not sure if it would only show during a husk/kick/sick render?

 

I added this problem within the scene file posted here:

(far right side)

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/arnold-for-houdini-forum/solaris-custom-aov-not-working/td-p/12643010...

 

 

amwilkins

 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report