Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Arnold for Houdini Forum
Rendering with Arnold in Houdini and Solaris using the HtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denoise aov's using oidn in solaris

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mattiasTQTV7
266 Views, 8 Replies

Denoise aov's using oidn in solaris

Hi,

How do we go about denoising aovs in Solaris. Im using the default Arnold rendernode setup that creates an oidn shader in /materials/default_arnold_imager. In the Layers of that one I can see RGBA and its the only pass that is getting denoised. I created my own one which tries to add additional layers like direct. This however does not work.

The help file states this:

Selects layers processed by this imager with a glob or operator expression. An imager can use a selection to determine what nodes will be selected to be processed by the imager at render time. The selection is an expression that can consist of multiple selections concatenated by:

• or (union)
  • and (intersection)
  • not (negation)
  • and not (exclusion)
  • () for nested scoping

So I have tried both * and "RGBA and direct" in the layers windows but without success. I actually dont know what layers refers to I just assumed it was AOV's but thats just guessing from the fact that RGBA is a AOV and it is in there by default.
Anyone who can shed any light on this would be greatly appreciated. We are in dire need of rendering with denosed AOVs.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

That's a known issue:
Layer selection does not work with Intel Denoiser · Issue #1498 · Autodesk/arnold-usd · GitHub

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 3 of 9

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for reply. It seems that was a known issue in Apr 20, 2023. Thats over a year ago. Either way can I use any of the other denoisers like noice in solaris? Is there any documentation on how to get that to work? I have not found it for Solaris.
Message 4 of 9

@mattiasTQTV7 wrote:
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for reply. It seems that was a known issue in Apr 20, 2023. Thats over a year ago. Either way can I use any of the other denoisers like noice in solaris? Is there any documentation on how to get that to work? I have not found it for Solaris.

They are all just imagers, so I think they will have the same problem.
But, to use them, you just create an imager and connect it via the Render Settings.

I was just about to do some testing, so the above is "off the top of my head"

// Stephen Blair
Message 5 of 9

Hmm, I tried doing that . I create a material library node. A arnold image builder. Inside I connected an oidn denoiser. I then dropped an arnold render settings node and went to shaders->imagers and linked it there. Nothing happened. Tried an exposure as well without result.
Basically I followed these instructions.
https://help.autodesk.com/view/ARNOL/ENU/?guid=arnold_for_houdini_solaris_ah_Imagers_Stage_html
Is it possible to confirm this is working? Am I just missing something here.
Message 6 of 9

@mattiasTQTV7 wrote:
Hmm, I tried doing that . I create a material library node. A arnold image builder. Inside I connected an oidn denoiser. I then dropped an arnold render settings node and went to shaders->imagers and linked it there. Nothing happened. Tried an exposure as well without result.
Basically I followed these instructions.
https://help.autodesk.com/view/ARNOL/ENU/?guid=arnold_for_houdini_solaris_ah_Imagers_Stage_html
Is it possible to confirm this is working? Am I just missing something here.

Sure, it works.

• In a Material Library, add an Arnold Imager Builder.
  • In the Arnold Imager Builder, create a denoiser imager. I did an Optix imager.
  • I had other materials in the Material Library, so I had to increase the number of materials and set the Material VOP to the denoiser imager. Then I could see it in the Scene Graph.
  • In the Arnold Render Settings, go to the Shaders tab and set the Imager to the imager builder.

Same problem with Optix as OIDN though. It's just the RGBA.
Unless I use sick, then the additional layers are also denoised.

// Stephen Blair
Message 7 of 9

Thanks Stephen, yeah got it to work now but as you said only for RGBA. How do I render with this sick thing? I can se the manual saying "A command called "sick" can be used to replace the Solaris default "husk" that is used to render Hydra scenes." but I cant seem to find where I should put this in?
Message 8 of 9

@mattiasTQTV7 wrote:
Thanks Stephen, yeah got it to work now but as you said only for RGBA. How do I render with this sick thing? I can se the manual saying "A command called "sick" can be used to replace the Solaris default "husk" that is used to render Hydra scenes." but I cant seem to find where I should put this in?

Sorry, I should say "Direct USD Render"
That's on the Arnold tab of the USD Render ROP.

BTW, it seems that the problem has been fixed in the USD repository.
https://github.com/Autodesk/arnold-usd/issues/2084

I just don't know when that will be released. Maybe next update, or if not, the one after that.

// Stephen Blair
Message 9 of 9

Ok got it to work for now with the USD direct render. Good to hear that this will be fixed shortly as well. Thanks for your help today!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report