Community
Arnold for Cinema 4D Forum
Rendering with Arnold in CINEMA 4D using the C4DtoA plug-in.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom particle geometry on Arnold Procedural

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
256 Views, 2 Replies

Custom particle geometry on Arnold Procedural

When loading an Alembic particle cache using C4D's native Particle Geometry I can assign an Arnold Tag and give the particles custom geometry, radius, variation, etc. Can't find a way to do the same when loading the same .abc into an Arnold Procedural. Tried an Arnold Scatter and custom settings in an Arnold Tag.

X-Particles doesn't pass rotation data to Thinking Particles so it can't be baked into an alembic file.

Edit : Didn't realize Arnold Scene Export could recognize X-Particle caches directly. Importing that .ass sequence in and applying an Arnold Tag set to Points worked. Was previously using the XP-to-TP-to-ABC route which strips the cache of anything but position. Still can't figure out how to get custom shapes on that using the Procedural / ABC method.

Edit 2: I was mistaken. It was inheriting the shape set in the XP Emitter's Display tab. Still can't assign custom shapes to .ass sequence particle cache.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
peter.horvath6V6K3
in reply to: Anonymous

It's not possible unfortunately. Instancing with a custom shape is done by the plugin in export time on a particle system which exists in the scene. A procedural is a black box in that sense.

You can use an operator to change the mode on the points node within the procedural to render spheres, but no custom geometry.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: peter.horvath6V6K3

Glad I wasn't missing something. XP's lack of Alembic support is frustrating. Turns out XP can run unlicensed through C4D commandline so I worked with the farm admin to get it installed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report