Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Freeform Blend tool in Alias Design 2017

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
stefanrdv
3364 Views, 20 Replies

Missing Freeform Blend tool in Alias Design 2017

On a fresh new install of Alias Design 2017

By trying to activate or find the Freeform Blend tool, it does not occur in the Palette>Surfaces>...

As an option to activate it does occur in Preferences>Interface>Menu editor>Palette>Surfaces>Multisurface Blend>Freeform Blend. Though even by setting a shortcut key there the Tool is not present and can not be used or activated.

No way to create a Blend surface with the Freeform Blend Tool as it is missing completely, though it can be seen in the Hotkeys/Menu Editor but can not be used.

Can please anyone help with this issue?

Thank you in advance

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
duaxiong
in reply to: stefanrdv

Licensing restriction perhaps?  It exists on my system and works just fine, but I'm running AutoStudio.

Message 3 of 21
stefanrdv
in reply to: duaxiong

The licensed version is permanent for Alias Design 2017.

The Freeform Blend tool exists since many past Alias Design versions.

Even now in the fresh new Alias Design 2017, there are options to set a shortcut key for it, but the tool is still inactive, inaccessible.

Tool locator also points the path to the tool, but it is not there.
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous

Having the same problem as well in 2017 Mac version.  My guess is that Autodesk removed it from Desigin.  If that's the case, I'm REALLY PISSED!!  I use that tool all day long.  

Autodesk  .. PLEASE tell us this is not the case.

Message 5 of 21
QuasiLoci

I sure hope this is not the case, I just bought the Alias Concept package (which includes Alias Design)..honestly the software would be pretty useless without this tool.

I am away from my computer at the moment, is 2017 showing up as an update now?

Message 6 of 21
stefanrdv
in reply to: QuasiLoci

@Alehnhar: I also tested the Mac OS version of Alias Design2017. Same issue.
@QuasiLoci: Alias Design had "Freeform Blend" since 2009 more or less. I had used that for many years on my previous job where they had older Alias versions.

We all depend on the Freeform Blend tool. Would be great if Autodesk could give us back that tool.

Otherwise Alias Design 2017 becomes heavily useless.

As of now into my account there is no new update to the licensed package (I have no maintenance or support).

Autodesk, please help us.

Message 7 of 21
QuasiLoci

I basically based my Alias Concept purchase on Alias Design having this tool. I will expect a full refund should this be taken away.
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: QuasiLoci

Good news guys.. I heard back from Autodesk Support that they did take Freeform blend out but they are putting it back in with an update patch!  

Thanks Autodesk for hooking us back up!

Message 9 of 21
QuasiLoci

Awesome news!

Thanks Autodesk
Message 10 of 21
stefanrdv
in reply to: Anonymous

This is quite positive news.

By when is it planned to publish the update patch for Alias Design 2017?

Will that be available also for customers who do not have a maintenance plan?

Until that update / patch is available, Alias Design 2017 remains quite functionally limited (unuseful).

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous

stefanrdv.. I agree with you.. it's tough to get by without that tool!  I'm going back to 2016 until the update. 😞  No word on when that might be.  This is what Autodesk support sent me.. 

We just confirmed that we productized away that tool in Alias Design 2017.  It will come back with the next patch.

I sincerely apologize for it and I will contact you as soon as possible I get the release information of the patch.

You should be able to find the patches here when they come out.. http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/alias-products/downloads

Message 12 of 21
Florian.Coenen

Hello guys,

I can confirm, what alehnhar mentioned. The Freeform Blend Tool is missing by mistake. The development is working on a hotfix, which will be available for download soon. This hotfix is bringing back the tool again.

Best Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: Florian.Coenen

I see there is a hotfix for this posted on the Autodesk Knowledge Network, but when I attempt to install the downloaded file I get this error:

Untitled-2.png

I have Alias Design 2017 Installed:

Untitled-3.png

Any ideas?

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

I get the same error as well!  The update works on the Mac for me but not on the PC side.   

Message 15 of 21
Florian.Coenen

Hello guys,

I can confirm that the installer seems not to work. I have the same issue here on my side as well.

Right now I received a confirmation from the development, that they have found the root cause and are working on that issue to fix that.

I am really sorry.

I will keep you updated!

Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 16 of 21
stefanrdv
in reply to: Florian.Coenen

Thank you very much for the help and information.

As there is a new release of the Alias Design 2017 mentioned earlier, I redownloaded Alias Design 2017 from my account and installed it.

Now the installation of the Hotfix did work out.

Although, it is important to mention that the Hotfix needs to be downloaded from the user account not the public knowledge base area!

If one does download from there, after applying the Hotfix the "Freeform Blend tool" would sitll be missing after the update.

By the way, there is another bug in the Diagnostic shading. When switching from diagnostic shading mode (used to evaluate surface quality) to Hardware shade (with already set Lighting Image based only with HDRI), the HDRI map and settings get lost, the whole work area becomes black.Even after placing the HDRI again into the slot, the work area stays black.

This is also an issue from Alias Design 2016. Please have a look into this bug.

Thank you in advance.

Message 17 of 21
stefanrdv

The new Hotfix seems to have excluded the Freeform Curve Blend Tool, now.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/alias-general-discussion/freeform-curve-blend-tool-in-alias-design-201...

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

Please help us have again a seamless experience of Alias.

Thank you in advance.

Message 18 of 21
joe.doyle.yyz

Hello,

The Freeform Curve Blend Tool was not intended to be part of the Alias Design 2017 license. This functionality was intended for higher tier Alias products licenses. However, an error was made when assigning features to product tiers:Freeform Blend Surface was disabled from Alias Design while the new Freeform Blend Curve was enabled in the product. The hotfix reverses this error. 

Regards,

Joe

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: joe.doyle.yyz

You guys are killing us!  Can you please give us a list of what else you have taken out or plan to take out in the near future??

Message 20 of 21
Anonymous

Forcing users to subscribe instead of buying a permanent license for your products, and then removing features is really, really bad form...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report