Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 Version-Please prevent moving of dimensions during detail update

2018 Version-Please prevent moving of dimensions during detail update

Hello Udo and Hello Dumitru,

Another secret is out - dimensions and labels moving again:

All default database for AS2018.

ZERO customization, using very powerful Autodesk certified video card / workstation.

The only thing that was changed was bolts diameter and distance to back of angles.  

Dimension chain on the left moved with no reason.

PLAN 2018 DIMENSIONS BEFORE UPDATE.jpgPLAN 2018 DIMENSIONS AFTER UPDATE.jpg

I am also attaching the test model and folder.

Regards,

Ilko Dimitrov

18 Comments
acbsdesign
Mentor

It looks like the dimensions snapped at the break points at grids.

Please prevent this for future releases. 

Ilko Dimitrov

ZHUKOV_ING
Advocate

Screenshot_1.png

Hi Ilko

I was testing your model and i think i have the reason why your dimension are moving... you are using grids as snap points... in my test i was using only preferred for manual dimensions (steel beam axis) and all dimensions are kstaying in place.... :D.. greetings

acbsdesign
Mentor

Hi ZHUKOV_ING,

Thank you for the input. 

What I am asking for is - prevent any snapping / movement etc. of dimensions once they are manually adjusted.

With the same set-up on the same day dimensions did not move 3 times out 5 updates.

But on a larger project-when they move-it gets ugly.

Once dimensions are manually adjusted-block any update.

We had enough fun already for so many years, enough is enough.

Ilko Dimitrov

ZHUKOV_ING
Advocate

Ilko 

I agree with you 100% .....

acbsdesign
Mentor

So,

Basically, the things that matter most for a detailer-

stable dimensions,

stable section views,

stable labels,

stable compass marks

These have not been improved at all.

But ... "hey, you guys have now 130 connections done in Revit"

Who cares about Revit having AS connections?

For so many years I have never seen an Engineer in The USA to use Revit and to try to do connections.

They have standard connection details in plain Autocad, and only prepare foundation, floor and roof plans, elevations and copy typ details.

Developers-your crazy idea to put an effort to do more for Revit and not for Advance steel is really, really crazy.

acbsdesign
Mentor

And anchor bolts are still not developed.

Asking for a simple macro, not for 130 connections.

acbsdesign
Mentor

Document Manager is under developed too.

acbsdesign
Mentor

Bolts are not done well.

Need an option to have nut or bolt welded in shop and the rest to be field.

acbsdesign
Mentor

The Call-out detail in 2018 version-that was a good idea, but the development did not care about the aesthetics-

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/advance-steel-ideas/2018-version-please-fix-text-alignment-in-call-ou...

George.Fouler
Contributor

AdvanceSteel is supposed to be for Detailers but unfortunately it seems to be drifting now towards Design drafting instead of detail drafting. Key concerns for Detailers stated by many people previously and above still have not been addressed.

Revit integration for AS is great, but the thought of interchangeable models is good in theory, but in reality its seldom supported as the accuracy of the models from the engineers cannot be guaranteed.

I wish there was more concentration on the current issues with the product (Detailing side).    

acbsdesign
Mentor

Probably we will have to stop paying in order to get what we want.

Simple.

Drawtech
Collaborator

I agree with all you guys.

...who the heck cares about Revit as a detailer!!

The instability of dimensions is a major issue - one of the biggest currently in the software.

...and the worst bit is that dimensions used to be just fine in AS2010 and earlier before the so called "smart dimensions" were introduced.  This has frankly been the worst productivity killer introduced in the history of the software and I have complained to Udo many times.

You used to be able to dimension to nodes, midpoints and endpoints and all dims would be stable.  If the points moved in the model then those dim points would be lost in the drawing but it was predictable and far better than the mess we have now with dimensions constantly moved, dim points lost, even dim points added that were not there to start with!

Please please please get this fixed so we are not having to constantly re edit our drawings.

acbsdesign
Mentor

Drawtech,

Let's stop paying for Advance for 1-2 years, they will either hire better developers, or better boss of developers, or start hearing us.

Some get their pay checks on Friday, and do not care, some don't and they care.

Simple.

acbsdesign
Mentor

Let's get Jim Lynch on board and explain the issues and why some won't pay for the next year.

Emanuel.Nestor
Autodesk Support

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all your comments and suggestions.

The “Idea Station” purpose is for Autodesk to obtain feature requests and promote discussion around those requests – and we thank you all for them. As you may notice with each version, some of your ideas are indeed implemented.

The best place to report issues such as the start point of this thread with dimensions and labels moving is Advance Steel Forum. This forum is monitored and it is the best place to discuss issues.

That being said, we are trying to identify, reproduce and fix issues that are reported by you. There have been a number of issues fixed with dimension and labels in the recent release. This is a clear goal for the development team and I hope you might notice the fixes the new versions are bringing. There are some existing issues that were not reproducible in time for the last release, but we are working on those.

I have posted this subject on that forum for discussion and feedback here.

Thank you very much for your understanding and help.

Best regards,
Emy

haedicu
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same problem, this is frustrating!

leiftisdell
Contributor

Have they stopped this yet. Drives me nuts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report