Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 Version - Moving of dimensions during detail update

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
Emanuel.Nestor
2188 Views, 32 Replies

2018 Version - Moving of dimensions during detail update

Hi @acbsdesign,

I have re-created your original post about the issue you have (re)found in Advance Steel 2018 about moving dimensions at update here, for further discussions and investigations.
Thank you very much for your understanding and help in this.

Best regards,
Emy

Hello Udo and Hello Dumitru,

Another secret is out - dimensions and labels moving again:

All default database for AS2018.

ZERO customization, using very powerful Autodesk certified video card / workstation.

The only thing that was changed was bolts diameter and distance to back of angles.

Dimension chain on the left moved with no reason.

large (1).jpg

large.jpg

I am also attaching the test model and folder.

Regards,

Ilko Dimitrov

"

Emy Nestor
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
acbsdesign
in reply to: Emanuel.Nestor

Hi Emy,

Thank you for your help-if you need anything else from my side-please do not hesitate to call / e-mail.

Dimensions moving and labels moving are the worst part having Advance Steel for detailing.

These issues were somehow overlooked over the years.

I, personally, decided not to renew my contract next year until I see labels and dimensions stable.

VP of BIM is aware of this.

Regards,

Ilko Dimitrov

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,
Ilko Dimitrov, IDC-1, M. Eng.
Tekla and Advance Steel Detailer
ACBS Structural Steel Detailing

If it is made of steel, I can model it and detail it.

acbs-usa.com | Helpful Place

Message 3 of 33
ChristianBlei
in reply to: acbsdesign

Hi,

just because I am curious:

Who the hell is VP of BIM?

Christian Blei

Christian Blei
CBT Christian Blei Tools
christianblei.de
youtube.com/channel/UCxjA_NbeScQy9C0Z1xjwXpw
Message 4 of 33
Emanuel.Nestor

Hi Ilko,

Thank you for your comments, as well for this test model and detail.

Investigating the behavior on my side, I have found the following situations related to the dimension you indicated:

1. I have moved the dimension point from grid end point to the intersection point between grid line and beam line.

After update, the dimension point was moved back to the grid end point.

2. I have deleted the extreme dimension points for the vertical grid line.

After update, these dimension points were re-created.

3. When these new dimension points appear, the dimension line is moved from its initial position.

Please see this video I have created with the investigation:

I am going to escalate these issues to the development team for further investigations.

Also, I would kindly ask you to confirm if these are the issues you are facing or if you have another scenario when the dimension is moved.

Thank you very much for your help in this.

Best regards,
Emy

Emy Nestor
Message 5 of 33
acbsdesign

Hi Emy,

Yes, these are the issues you have shown-both for the labels and for dimensions.

Once adjusted labels shall stay and not moving or appearing.

Once adjusted dimensions shall stay the way we left them.

Currently we do not know how the dimensions will look like after detail update.

Thank you,

Ilko Dimitrov

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this makes it easier for other users.

Regards,

Message 6 of 33
Emanuel.Nestor

Hi Ilko,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

I have escalated the issues to the development team for further investigations.

Hopefully the development team will be able to enhance the behavior as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Emy

Emy Nestor
Message 7 of 33
acbsdesign

Hi Emy,

Did you also submit the movement of the labels?

Thank you,

Ilko Dimitrov

Regards,

Message 8 of 33
Emanuel.Nestor

Hi Ilko,

Sure I did escalate also the one with moving labels.

Best regards,
Emy

Emy Nestor
Message 9 of 33
acbsdesign

Emy,

These two things were escalated at least 100 times already,

it is so frustrating to work with Autodesk.

I am very, very disappointed.

The Advance steel users, I communicate with, feel exactly the same way.

I am sick and tired of 'escalating' basic issues to the development team, and not getting anything back.

Ilko Dimitrov

Regards,

Message 10 of 33
cad
Advocate

Hi Ilko,

I totally agree with you. The problem with moving dimensions during detail updates is one of the oldest bugs in Advance Steel. It started with the implementation of "smart" dimensions in AS 2010 or 2011. I don't know how many times we've reported this to the support or development team. The result: absolutely nothing.

I can't understand this. Autodesk does not respect the needings of the customers. The idea board for example is full of good and innovative ideas. But nothing will be integrated in AS. 

Greetings from Germany

Joerg

Message 11 of 33
acbsdesign
in reply to: cad

Hi Joerg,

One way to make them hear is not paying for couple of years, we can live with 2018 version, until they fix these two issues.

Other way is you and others to come to Boston, to meet the VP of BIM and if necessary, to organize a protest on the street in front of Autodesk's office building.

I will offer a free refreshments and food for the protesters...

Legal disclosure-this is a joke!

But back to reality-we have to find a way to make them hear.

Regards from Boston 

Ilko Dimitrov

Regards,

Message 12 of 33
cad
Advocate

Hi,

there is the next Graitec user meeting here in Germany in June. AS is one big thing at this meeting. In the last few years there were Autodesk officials at this meetings, for example the product manager Mr. Haedicke. So I hope I can talk to such a person directly. 

Greetings

Joerg

Message 13 of 33
Flies-Eyes

I am glad to see it is not just us that is having trouble with dimensions moving.  I was starting think that we had missed some setting or variable.  We just had another job that required updates and changes after a review (no surprises there) and we spent 23 man hours re-dimensioning assemblies on a 15t project that had already been previously done.  

After the frustration of this re-work I had to find a solution to put and end this issue.  From what I am reading on this 'Forum' many others have sort a solution going back some years and still waiting.  

This issue must be costing the Industry millions every year in lost productivity, revenue, deadlines and errors.  I would suggest it costs our company $30k USD per year in lost productivity.

What would it cost to have it fixed $100k, 200k, 300k USD?   What does that equate to, $10 USD a user?

I will await a collective industry sigh of relief the day this bug is resolved.

Message 14 of 33
acbsdesign

Joerg,

I spoke a few times with Udo already-he is either out of the current situation, or he does not care, because his boss did not tell him to do so.

Instead of talking about these issues, I had to watch a presentation showing how hard the developers work doing connections in Revit.

Sad, isn't it?

Just stop paying, they will fix  these issues.

Ilko Dimitrov

Regards,

Message 15 of 33
ChristianBlei

Ilko,

Prosteel has even more severe qulity issues- it is almost a corpse. I was thinking about a similar strategy- storing the money for the subscriptions in a locked account and start to bargain. The problem is how many of all user would follow.

I know of examples where users made companies to step back, one is SAP taking back a heavy increase of maintenance fees of a couple of years ago and another one is the new York based activists of the Thing against ToysAreUs.I guess you need at least 5 to 10% of all users to follow such a strategy to be successful and where are they........

But good luck with this approach,

Christian

Christian Blei
CBT Christian Blei Tools
christianblei.de
Message 16 of 33
acbsdesign
in reply to: ChristianBlei

Do you have any other idea?

Regards,

Message 17 of 33
acbsdesign
in reply to: ChristianBlei

Christian, 

Back in 2009-2010-2011-I was fighting around with people who were arguing that Advance Steel is not a software to be trusted etc.

My very first project was a 500t structure, some 5,000 structural elements-beams and plates. How I did it, I still do not know...

I have spent probably 200-400 hours so far reporting, suggesting, again reporting bugs and so on.

What I, and others too, want is once dimensions are manually adjusted-any updating to be blocked, if we need to update them, we will do it.

Once labels are moved-to stay there during update.

Is this something too much to ask?

These two issues are eating every single day from our time.

I do not know what else to say-thank you for your wish for good luck may be,... but this is not about saving a few $$.

I just do not see any other way to get an attention.

Also-look how many people are complaining about the same thing. 

If an Advance steel user gets his / her pay check every week or so-these are "SMALL" issues ( I quote the Marketing Director) ,

self employed Advance Steel users do not have their pay checks, and they depend on the stability of the software to support their families.

I know it sounds rough, but hey-this is the truth, and no one can blame me for saying it.

Ilko Dimitrov

Regards,

Message 18 of 33
ChristianBlei

Hi Joerg,

I guess you are in Leipzig. I will attend the Graitec user meeting in Düsseldorf. I do not expect anyone from Autodesk with a deep knowledge of AS is going to be there, because the meeting is going to to be BIM and collaboration focused. But that does not matter. Graitec has very experienced and knowledgable people , some of them are posting here like Jonathan Hand, Aleck Giles and Sebastian Eiche. We can talk to them and we can talk to the Graitec people at the meeting and emphasize that these issues are important and critical for us. Graitec is the biggest development partner of Autodesk for Advance Steel and is representing a big chunk of AS users. Autodesk will definitely listen to Graitec.

And as my personal opinion:

I am confident that Autodesk and its responsibles take these issues seriously and are discussing them and are working to resolve these problems. I am waiting for the next midseason service pack.  

Christian   

Christian Blei
CBT Christian Blei Tools
christianblei.de
Message 19 of 33

Hi,

are there news about this problem?

I show what happen when i do  a update:

Before

Before.PNG 

After

After.PNG

Message 20 of 33
Flies-Eyes
in reply to: Buxtehude1963

Yes that is the problem that everybody is banging on about.  An no they have not resolved the issue, although if you ask them they have fixed it or better still ask a sales rep and it is not problem anyhow.   

I understand you frustration as this is an expensive ongoing issue with the software.  I believe it is in the too hard basket.  The cheapest solution would be to set up a dimensioning and re-dimensioning company in a country where labour is $0.05/hr.   The 2nd option is to ask your clients politely, not to make changes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report