Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to combine types of bolts

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
eyal.ch
927 Views, 21 Replies

How to combine types of bolts

Hi Everyone,

From my model I got a long list of bolts with the same diameter but differnt length.

Can I define that the software will combine types?

For ex.: if I have M16x60,M16x50,M16x55,M16x45, 

it will take the 45 and 50mm bolts and make them M50.

and the 55 and 60 it will union to 60mm.

so instead of having 4 types I will have 2 types.

thank you

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
johnjmbennett
in reply to: eyal.ch

Hi,

in bolt properties there is an parameter that allows you to add length to the grip, this increases the overall bolt length.

if I recall correctly even if bolts are in a macro connection, you can access this field and add measurement.l, in this case add 5mm.

you could try using the search /query tool set to bolts and then under the bolt tab of search place the length you wish to find, in the length field.  That way you could edit many bolts at once.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/advance-steel/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/...

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 22
eyal.ch
in reply to: johnjmbennett

Hi @johnjmbennett ,

I know I can add length to the bolts,

that is not my question, my question is if I can limit the bolts to specific length.

Or maybe check each bolt to see its length and and increase them to a specific length, if so, How can I select all the bolts in a specific length and change them all together.

Message 4 of 22
johnjmbennett

You use a search to find the bolts of the length you wish to change, as previously described, then use the select marked objects tool for the AS palette, to select them, then access the properties once selected via the contextural menu(right mouse button) , select AS properties, select the length increase field and type measurement.

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 22
bigcarl5000kg

@eyal.ch 

how can you use longer screws than needed in a bolted connection? I don't know which standard it applies to in your case (country and standard), but if the screws don't have a thread all the way to the head, you would have to use additional washers for a 5mm longer screw, for example. Certain standards allow a certain maximum number of washer - but how would you generate these additional washers in the drawing and BOM? Because these would be used for the same bolt set only in an exceptional case 😉 (shorter bolt needed).

+++ impossible immediately and miracles within 3 days +++
+++ the only constant is the change +++ stay tuned for more +++
+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 6 of 22
eyal.ch
in reply to: bigcarl5000kg

Hi @bigcarl5000kg ,

The problem I have, can be seen here:

eyalch_0-1673779000014.png

I have 4 types of bolts with a small difference of their lengh, I wanted to have 2 types only, so that the software will union the types and give me instead of 40mm and 45mm ,the longer one ( 45mm).

so they will not be confused on site,

and of course I need the software to check if the bolts can be longer and will not have a collision.

About the treads I don't care that it will be threaded all the way or according to the smaller bolt.

thank you

Message 7 of 22
eyal.ch
in reply to: johnjmbennett

Hi @johnjmbennett ,

I did part of what you said, I used search to find a specific bolt length and then I showed only this type:

eyalch_0-1673780028807.png

this bolts are 40mm length, I didn't understand how can I change all those bolts to 50mm? please be more specific.

is there a way to get the quantity of those bolts?

thank you

Message 8 of 22
bigcarl5000kg

hi @eyal.ch ,

you are using HV-bolts (8.8), so be careful. Otherwise, I learned that in AS I have to check the clamping length (Klemmlänge), which defines the length of the screws, because depending on the type of structure (in my case transmission towers) it can often be carelessly different from the manually calculated one (even tenths of mm deviations in the transition area between the individual screw lengths are decisive). In the Project properties, only for the check purpose, turn on the length units to 2 decimal places and you'll see - then don't forget to switch it back, especially for creating drawings and BOM). Then all that remains is to add or subtract from the clamping length in the properties of each such screw. In any case, look at the screws in Management tools to see if they have the correct clamping lengths defined for the given screw lengths according to the appropriate standard. 

+++ since 03/2023 is Advance Steel in maintenance mode, no further development +++
Message 9 of 22
bigcarl5000kg

To get longer screw, set some possitive value in the Grip length increase - you will see a direct effect on the length of the bolt in the same property panel and the change in its length also in model.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/advance-steel/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU...

Message 10 of 22
bigcarl5000kg

To see the quantity of the selected objects, look in the Property toolbar (CTRL + 1 to activate / deactivate even during active command).

Message 11 of 22
eyal.ch

It doesn't work.

if I want to count all the bolts that I have selected, it doesn't show it on the properties, it refers to 2 bolts as 1 group.

eyalch_0-1673781509010.png

Message 12 of 22
bigcarl5000kg

This is correct if you inserted them as a group (not individual screws). All screws in the group have the same properties. You always have the option to split a group of screws into individual screws, if they are not in a macro. Then in the Property toolbar you will actually see the individual screws.

Otherwise, for an overall overview, the parts list is the right way for the final check. I apply the above personally for ongoing review so that I don't have any copied errors (transformed connections - copied, rotated, etc.).

Message 13 of 22
bigcarl5000kg

bigcarl5000kg_0-1673785520588.png

Message 14 of 22
eyal.ch

Hi @bigcarl5000kg ,

I don't want to break the group since it is a part of a connection.

After I filtered the bolts that I want ( e.g - M12x40) and I want to know how many bolts I selected,

and I want to changed all those selected bolts to M12x50, how to do it all in once,

because now I have to go one by one and change them manually and it takes for ever.

thank you

Message 15 of 22
bigcarl5000kg

Hi @eyal.ch ,

if you filtered out M12x40, then by editing their properties add such an addition of clamp length to get M12x50. As already described, you can see the change directly in the properties.

Only the BOM will show you how many screws there are together, because some are in groups.

Message 16 of 22
bigcarl5000kg

To count the filtered fasteners, create a BOM only from the selected objects.

Message 17 of 22
iwafb

I don't think it's been mentioned here. Apologies if i've missed it. But, you could also either modify the bolt database or create your own copy, containing only the bolt sizes you are looking for. That is, bolt lengths of 40, 50, 60... You could then set the increments to 10 and the bolts would automatically jump to the next size without the need for adding grip.

My approach would be to copy the database and create a new entry, rather than edit the existing one. This way, you can always go back to the standard should you have extra requirements (thread lengths, thread projection beyond nuts...)

Message 18 of 22
bigcarl5000kg

Hi @iwafb,

I agree with this option as alternative solution in case of emergency. From my experience, for example, an external inspection would mark such screws as faulty... so I would not recommend it not only from this point of view.In addition, these are high-strength screws (8.8) that, according to the standard, have stricter criteria regarding bolt set. I would say that checking the clamping lengths in the database according to the relevant standard and possibly adjustment must work, otherwise the assignment of clamp length to bolt length in AS would be incorrect. Since these screws are graduated in 5mm increments, I see the jump in 10mm from the given arguments incorrect. But @eyal.ch has to make the right decision himself 😁🤘

Message 19 of 22
eyal.ch

Hi @bigcarl5000kg ,

This could be a solution for counting, but I know how to make drawing from a selected parts/assemblies,

but how can I make a bom of a selected bolts?

thank you

Message 20 of 22
bigcarl5000kg

Select your bolts, create a list for BOM ... and very important ... create new selection without any activated check boxes. Create BOM and you will see ...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report