Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do .mdf file have versions? How can i know that? What precautions do we need to edit that with sql server?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
SanjoyNath
565 Views, 3 Replies

Do .mdf file have versions? How can i know that? What precautions do we need to edit that with sql server?

Dear Experts,

For Different purpose of ERP in our office , we have different versions of database server engines of sql server. When we aattach the .mdf files in some of these servers (like version 2019) some Advance Steel works fine whereas some other advance steel installations cannot read the databases

What are the reasons with the .mdf files (kept with same names and with same path) still dont work for some (All  LAtest versions of Advance Steel)

Sanjoy Nath
BIM Manager And Digital Lead (Structures Online)
BOOST, AR , VR ,EPM,IFC API,PDF API , CAD API ,Revit API , Advance Steel API
Founder of Geometrifying Trigonometry(C)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Most of Advance Steel Version runs with SQL Server 2014. If mdf files are saved with higher version of SQL Server they cannot be read with normal installation.

Message 3 of 4

Dear @Paul_You_Mechwest .

Dear Experts,

Is there any way to check the version of current active sql server running at the backend?

Is there any way to check the versions property of the .mdf files ?

Is there any way to understand the errors of management tools ior database conversions?

Sanjoy Nath
BIM Manager And Digital Lead (Structures Online)
BOOST, AR , VR ,EPM,IFC API,PDF API , CAD API ,Revit API , Advance Steel API
Founder of Geometrifying Trigonometry(C)
Message 4 of 4

I normally check local SQL Server version from Task Manager.
You can see sqlserver.exe from Task manager if you run Advance Steel.
If file location is like below, SQL server 2014 is running.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\LocalDB\Binn

120 - SQL Server 2014
130 - SQL Server 2016

2021-06-24 07_56_05-Greenshot.png

You can check database compatibility version from SQL Server Management Studio

2021-06-24 08_06_36-Window.png

I usually keep database in central location where file version history is available I am using Dropbox for now.
Database files are copied to local directory of staff's workstation before running Advance Steel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report