Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Connection with Double Angle Bracing

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
688 Views, 2 Replies

Custom Connection with Double Angle Bracing

I am using Advance Steel 2018 to model a structure.  The structure utilizes double angle bracing connected to various W-beams.  How can I model the custom connection so that I can use the same connection for different beam sizes?  If I use parametric cope, the distance between the web and the angles is constant when the beam size is changed but I am having a hard time modeling the other components so that they update as well.  Also, the connections in the connection vault do not seem to take kindly to the double angle.  Is there a connection people typically use for a standard double angle connection that I can use as a starting point?  Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AleckGiles
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

You will have to draw the angle on the supporting beam manually. Then use Plate Along Beam Web on the custom connections page of the palette to make the plate on the angle. The offsets will have to remain constant from the intersection of the system lines but it should work OK as a joint. You can always tick "Allow modification" if you need to adjust the result a little.

All the items on the Custom Connections page of the palette are "building blocks" or tiny joints with one object and a small degree of intelligence in each. try to use these when constructing the pieces oaf a manual joint to include as much intelligence / self adjustment as possible. When defining the joint itself try to include the joint boxes around each building brick in the selected elements. Otherwise the intelligence can be lost.

These bricks don't help massively with this joint but they are worth trying for any joints you create.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: AleckGiles

Thank you for your reply!

Can I add intelligence to manually added components?  For instance, the angle you suggested to add manually, is there a way to model this part or add some type of intelligence to it so that the angle is always flush with the surface of the beam web, regardless of beam web thickness?

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report