Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Design Suite 2016

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
charlv
4038 Views, 29 Replies

Building Design Suite 2016

Hi,

Can anyone from Autodesk tell us if the Advanced Steel and Concrete will be in the BDS 2016 in place of ASD, as 2015 wil be the last version of ASD.

We are quoting a customer and need some clarity.

Many thanks,

Charl

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
HarryHighpants
in reply to: Flies-Eyes

@Anonymous.niebling wrote:
We now use Inventor to do our Steel Detailing, ASD was rubbish anyhow. Much better than Advance Steel, takes a little setting up but worth the effort.

I've often wondered why Autodesk doesn't build a steel detailing system on to the Inventor platform. Something along the lines of Solidworks and TSD.

The interface and graphics in Inventor are way better than Advance Steel, not to mention drawing update stability.

Are you using any addons or straight Inventor?

Message 22 of 30
Flies-Eyes
in reply to: HarryHighpants

We are using straight Inventor currently. Would like to integrate ASi-Profile however I can't get them to respond to my requests for information. Regards Murray Niebling (Director) Ph:- +61 (07) 3216 0602 Mb:- +61(0) 477 700 246 Em:- m.niebling@defaus.com.au Wb:- www.defaus.com.au
Message 23 of 30
Μηχανικος
in reply to: charlv

Now that you mention inventor, i use to have the impression that with Building Design Suite you can go from design to fabrication by using revit and then exporting components to inventor. I think i had this impression from the videos i watched from the Building Design Suite main page. how many of you use inventor to create fabrication drawings? are there any video tutorials for this?

Message 24 of 30
lk
Advocate
in reply to: Μηχανικος

Hi,

We have some expirience with Inventor in our office and I have to say that it is not good solution for typical steel structures (like building structures, frame supports, railings, bridges etc.). It is much faster to do the structure in Advance or Tekla. Inventor is rather for prototyping of mechanical (movable) units. However the drawings creation in Inventor is very good and I would be very glad to have the same in AS. In my opinion Revit is something like Inventor for civil/structural engineers but it is not completed yet. You need AS or Tekla for Steel detailing. So I think Autodesk should add AS to Revit and implement some function of Inventor to that softwer. It could be great and modern program for us.

Leszek K
Message 25 of 30
Μηχανικος

Autodesk needs to understand that for bim to be fully efficient you need to have one software that can go from design to fabrication like Tekla structures and Allplan. One way or the other they will soon have to improve on Revit to include all the required features for fabrication. There is a lot of transition from cad to bim and the technology is moving fast, they have no choice but to move fast too or stay behind.

So simply put, up to what level of developement (LOD) can Revit take you?

Message 26 of 30
TRitch

I have been using AS for 6 months and compared to the other products I have used over the years it wins hands down for steel detailing. I'm not a engineer/designer but I can certainly see advantages for them too.  I've been trained on and used Tekla, Prosteel and even Inventor!  I have not used ASD but I did get a demo many years back and it did not compare to the previously mentioned packages, I guess Autodesk wanted to really compete in the fabrication market.

The problem with a "One size fit's all" package is it becomes extremely expensive, e.g. Tekla (and that really doesn't do it all, I have used it for almost 10 years).  Why would you put a full blown design tool (that probably cost you 35K EUROS) in the hands of a trainee shop detailer who is editing fitting sheets?  Likewise, why would you put that same tool in the hands of a designer who has no interest in fitting sheets, details etc?  The only company where these things might happen is in those smaller companies mentioned in previous comments that could not afford 1K EUROS per month, how are they going to afford 35K EUROS plus an annual mainenance of who knows how much?

I sure a trained and experienced Inventor user may be able to put out shop details with some speed however I doubt they would be able to keep up with a trained and experienced AS user, as the saying goes, horses for courses. 

I doubt we'll ever see the full deailing capability in Revit, that's not what it's for, it's an general architectural/design tool, AS is a steel engineering/fabrication tool.  There is some cross over but they appeal to different workflows. Again it goes back to the problems of a "One size fit's all" package mentioned above.

ASD users, request a new demo of AS from Autodesk, look at it with an open mind.  Based on the demo I had of ASD many years ago you'll recover the extra cost in efficiencies fairly quickly.

AS isn't in BDS (That would probably make BDS too expensive for people not concerned with that part of the process) but I see Autodesk has released a new suite with AS and Revit in it.

Message 27 of 30
Μηχανικος

I had no idea Tekla structures was 35K, If thats the case then autodesk is doing fine. A good approach by autodesk would be to let customers make up their own building design suite by choosing the products they want.

Message 28 of 30
TRitch
in reply to: Μηχανικος

The tekla steel detailing license alone is cheaper than that but still more than twice AS. 

Message 29 of 30

The sad thing is... ASD and Navisworks Manage is all that is needed to do Steel Jobs in BIM. Even sadder than that is they were on to something with ASD. Whats worse than that even? Steel detailers that can't coordinate their own work because they won't buy Navisworks Manage.
...and fix the kiss export issues.
Message 30 of 30
iwafb
in reply to: markhubrich

Obviously, I don't know what Autodesk's strategy was with ASD. However, IMO it was never a serious contender. I think AS is definitely a step in the right direction, and by all accounts, Autodesk seem to be putting a lot of resources into this program. Personally, I would rather see individual dedicated applications than a "one size fits all" solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report