Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed up render times large scene

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Maarten.de.jong19
758 Views, 12 Replies

Speed up render times large scene

Hello, im working on an project for school and i have a deadline for next wednesday. im trying to render a large png secuence of arround 700 frames, each render takes arround 10 to 15 minutes so at this rate the render would not be ready when the deadline ends.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Any chance you can save that scene and upload it? You can send me a direct message. Sampling seems too high for a outdoor render. And, this is just my advice , but use EXR files. PNG isn't the best format to save your render. 

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 3 of 13

heyy, i will gladly send u the scene but how can i send it? because it is an almost 8Gb file. and what are the benefits for rendering in a EXr file because i wat to edit them in After effects and Premiere Pro.

Message 4 of 13

Use the 3ds Max option to Archive. File -> Archive. That is going to only save what is needed for that view. I can share a google drive link for to copy it there.

Regarding working with EXRS, you have a lot of benefits. You have a higher dynamic range, which allows you to do colour correction and adjustments that you can't do with a basic 8bit image. In simple terms you have a more flexible and safe file to work with. If you messed up with the exposure for example, you can fix it using an EXR file. Working with After Effects, all you have to do is change your comp from 8bit to 32bit to take full advantage of the EXR files. 

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 5 of 13

Hello, i have now achived the file but its still 2.32Gb but ill send u the drive link.
Message 6 of 13

Message 7 of 13

Having a look at this now. Something to help with the size of this scene is checking Arnold Source Scenes

https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/display/A5AF3DSUG/Arnold+Scene+Source

Btw are you on Max 2021 or 2022?

Your scenes will take just a couple of minutes to open.

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 8 of 13

im on 3ds max 2022
Message 9 of 13

Ok, so I had a look at your scene. On my machine I was rendering this in 2:20 minutes, with some adjustments I am able to render this in 30 seconds or 1 minute depending on the quality.

A couple of thinks that this scene could be improved.

First, the scene is massive 7GB for something so simple. You need to make better use of instances. Having instances will make everything way faster to work with. Another example are the trees. After applying the ProOptimzer, collapse the modifier stack to improve speed and performance. I just collapsed the trees and the file is now 3GB. 

Now materials. At the moment I do recommend using the Arnold Image or the Legacy Bitmap to work with TX textures. I recently found that in some instances the OSL Bitmap will not load the TX texture. The other point is that there is no need to load the TX  texture directly, just leave the jpg or png and let Arnold do the job of loading the file. So that when the project finishes, you can just delete all the TX textures and save 10GB or more of space. 

Now the settings. First thing, is that you are using a Sun Positioner. Nothing wrong with that, but you need to increase the light samples, otherwise you will get some noise. When working with the Sun Positioner, you need to use this option here

CiroCardoso3v_0-1649431267137.png

Something like 2 or 3 is good enough.

In terms of sampling. I can see you have some fine mesh that you are trying to get the detail. For that you need to increase the Camera AA. The Camera AA also works as global multiplier, meaning that if you increase the Camera AA, you need to decrease the other samples, like Diffuse, Specular and so on. 

In my case, I used these settings

CiroCardoso3v_1-1649431422516.png

And rendered the scene in 30 seconds.

And if you want to increase a little bit the quality, I increase the Camera AA from 3 to 4. 

And consider instead of using a mesh like this

CiroCardoso3v_2-1649431684340.png

You could just use a texture. OSL Tiles would do the trick for this. 

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 10 of 13

Here you have the file, if you want to have a look.

https://we.tl/t-WqDRvi9IEL

Also, consider rendering a smaller resolution and then scale it up. I can very easily go from a 2K to a 4K image without loosing noticeable detail. 

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 11 of 13

Hello, thanks a lot for the feedback! i will render in a lower resolution and scale it up!

Message 12 of 13

hi,if i try to open the file i get an error that says: FileNAme: vrender2022.dlr Class VRayPhysCamAttributes SuperClass: 0x1160
How can i fix this? because i do not have Vray installed or bought

Message 13 of 13

yeah that is fine. Open the Scene Converter to remove the missing plugin. There are no Vray assets on that file. 

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report