Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to light a streetlight

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
alan.r.stewart56
903 Views, 11 Replies

How to light a streetlight

Hi. I'm driving myself crazy with what (to most of you) will seem a very minor problem. Essentially, I am trying to create a night scene, in which I want to use a very nice model of a Victorian gas streetlight. I've tried various solutions, the latest being VRay sphere lights inside each of the four lamps mounted on the post. As you'll see from the image below, they are casting light on the ground below, but the lamps themselves appear totally dark. The second image below shows the texture files used in the streetlight model - if you examine the Opacity map, you will see that there appear to be black panels at lower left which I assume correspond to the glass panes of the model's hexagonal lamps. As I understand it, in an Opacity map black equals transparent, but perhaps that is incorrect.

I should mention that I'm a self-taught amateur, not an industry professional, so I would really appreciate any pointers which you guys can give. Thanks in advance.......

Screenshot 2021-08-21 164658.jpgScreenshot 2021-08-21 165133.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Can you share that asset, so that I can have a look? Also, which vray version are you using?

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 3 of 12

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)" /><!--<br>/* Font Definitions */<br>@font-face<br> {font-family:"Cambria Math";<br> panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}<br>@font-face<br> {font-family:Calibri;<br> panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}<br>/* Style Definitions */<br>p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal<br> {margin:0cm;<br> font-size:11.0pt;<br> font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}<br>a:link, span.MsoHyperlink<br> {mso-style-priority:99;<br> color:blue;<br> text-decoration:underline;}<br>.MsoChpDefault<br> {mso-style-type:export-only;}<br>@page WordSection1<br> {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;<br> margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}<br>div.WordSection1<br> {page:WordSection1;}<br><br>
Message 4 of 12

I think you may have to check the message above.

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 5 of 12

That's weird. I was trying to link to OneDrive so you could access the files easily. Clearly that didn't work.

Here is the fbx file, plus the first two texture files (this platform only allows three files at a time to be sent). The rest will follow asap.

Message 6 of 12

Files 3,4 and 5

   

Message 7 of 12

Files 6.7 and 8

Message 8 of 12

And the last one. You'll see that there are two sets - one is for the base & pole, the other is for the lantern sections.

I would have prefeered to send you the .max file, but this is about 3x the maximum file size allowable..

Message 9 of 12

Maps are ok I think (light_street light pole_Metallic.png is missing). Since I don't own Vray, I replaced the light dummies by Arnold Point lights.

streetlamp2022arnold.jpg

Message 10 of 12

Sorry, I have been away. I will have a look at this.

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 11 of 12

OK, so here it goes. Hope this helps

CiroCardoso3v_0-1632408793347.png

And the file is attached

https://we.tl/t-hwgQWoDgsN

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 12 of 12

That's looking really good - thanks for all your efforts!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report