Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you create a color map (like a baked room) for a game that has shadows baked in?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
heynewt
509 Views, 6 Replies

How do you create a color map (like a baked room) for a game that has shadows baked in?

I work in Unity and Modo, and both use emissive color maps for baked object materials that have all the lighting baked in.  In those cases the baked texture is applied as an emissive color map.  If I try that approach in MAX, applying the same texture as an emissive color map to the object's material, I get no result at all except a white (or whatever color is selected in emissive properties) surface.  

How is that achieved in MAX.  (See images)capture (1).jpgCapture.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
oliver
in reply to: heynewt

It will be displayed when you switch your viewport to High Quality-mode.

But it will not illuminate the scene in the viewport.

Message 3 of 7
domo.spaji
in reply to: oliver

No, it will not!

It will not be displayed in rendering either.

Can't understand how so many people believed Zapp Anderson lies. And so easily transferring that to others.

I mean his name is Zapp... Or is it?

Also, can't understand how someone take for normal blind working on shaders/materials, maps in any 3D software!?

Message 4 of 7
oliver

?!

Texture applied to Emmission-input, viewport set to High QualityTexture applied to Emmission-input, viewport set to High Quality

Texture applied to Emission input, viewport set to Active ShadeTexture applied to Emission input, viewport set to Active Shade

Message 5 of 7
heynewt

Thanks for the replies.  Switching to High-Quality did it!  I was building models for game use, and never thought to try and render it (which also would have shown it was right).

Message 6 of 7
domo.spaji

With default values like on your shot you'll have pretty close result to pure white.

If that's write to you, than ok.

There are shaders for that purpose, no slots, no settings...

And no option to "show realistic material" aka "High-Quality" in them.

There's also viewport rendering style for turning all materials to "self-iluminated"

Message 7 of 7
heynewt
in reply to: domo.spaji

Thanks for that insight.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report