Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arnold AOV's

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jamesw
1041 Views, 4 Replies

Arnold AOV's

I am trying to move over from Mental Ray to Arnold.

I have always used passes from my renders to composite in After Effects.

I have worked out how to extract each pass in after effects with extractor but z depth not working or material ID's

Can anyone explain how to use a z-depth with Arnold AOV's in after effects. 

Also material ID's. For this I just want everything Black except the material I use for spot lights. 

There is very little information with regards to Arnold for use with 3ds Max. If I cant get this to work I will use V-ray in the future as there is way more info out there. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: jamesw

Message 3 of 5
jamesw
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

That's the tutorial I followed but didn't work from Max to after effects. z depth just shows as white and playing with setting does nothing. There is no way to control z-depth distance from what I can see either. 

Spent 1 day trying to do this. It was easy with Mental ray. 

Just spent half hour playing with V-ray and got all the passes I need without problem. Not impressed with Arnold speed either compared to other two engines. 

Message 4 of 5
Stephen.Blair

The Z AOV isn't normalized. How did you normalize the values for viewing? 

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 5 of 5
ted
Participant

I have the same issue and haven't seen an answer. The AOV Z renders out a white image. I've tried rendering a Tiff and adjusting exposure but there is no information there. I finally downloaded the pool ball tutorial to try that and got the same blank white image out of z. Here's the tutorial if anyone can tell me how to get a workable Z depth image out of it.  

https://docs.solidangle.com/display/A5AF3DSUG/Z+Depth+AOV

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report