Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spline extrudes wrong way

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
15872 Views, 11 Replies

spline extrudes wrong way

I have a closed spline. When I add the Extrude modifier, it extrudes in the plane of the spline instead of normal to it. Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You probably moved some vertices around, so that the shape is not aligned with its pivot point anymore.
For example, if you draw a circle in the Front viewport, select its vertices and rotate them so they lie on the XY plane, then extrude the shape, you get the same problem.

One way to fix it is to draw a line in a viewport that is perpendicular to the axis along which you want to extrude, attach your original shape to it, then delete the line at the spline sub-object level. Now if you apply the Extrude modifier, everything should be back to normal.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

I tried your suggestion but no luck. Still does the same thing. I also made sure all the vertices are welded and that they are all in the same plane and oriented the same direction. I also tried creating a new spline from scratch by snapping onto the old one. It had the same problem.
Message 4 of 12
CAMedeck

If you created a line in the front viewport, then rotated it in subobject mode to face upwards, the software still thinks "up" is back. Rotate the line in subobject mode to align with the direction that it is extruding.

If that doesn't work, do a save selected and post a zip of the file here so we can take a look.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

See if this helps: video
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Have you tried clicking on the spline under editable spline and hitting reverse spline?
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

See if this helps: video

Yes it does. I didn't read it correctly. I drew my line parallel to the extrude, not perpendicular. Maybe that was the problem. Neat trick. But my coworker came over to help and locked up max so now I can't try it. Also thanks for the tip on Jing!

Carl_Braun: Yes, I had also tried Reverse Spline button which did not work.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

That attaching spline is excellent as when you attach the object it must re-align the vertices of the object that is being attached. It works well.

I get this problem when I trace the profile of objects and extrude, I usually let it extrude the wrong way anyway and then convert to a poly. I then select the vertices at the end of the extrude and 3d snap them to where I want then to go. However I often get UVW map problems as the normals are all messed up and if you flip them in poly sub edit mode the object often gets corrupted, and the normal modifier wont work.

So this trick rocks!Thanks
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

here you go

Message 10 of 12
eng.sunilpandey

thanks

Message 11 of 12
kgokhangurbuz

Hi;

-Select your Spline

-Go to Utilities > Reset XForm > Reset Selected

-Convert to Editable Spline (again, to collapse XForm)

-Apply Extrude

Kind regards;

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

I tried this after doing the other selection XForm stuff.  But it did not work for me.  But this has worked thank you thank you.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report