Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapping to edge perpendicularly

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
648 Views, 1 Reply

Snapping to edge perpendicularly

Hi!

I have a problem. I am modeling some walls and the walls are not perpendicular straight lines, thats why i have a problem. Im modeling the walls off a dwg that Ive made and i want the model to be precise. Because the walls are not perfectly perpendicular and straight im using the box modifier and then editing the vertices. I have the edge and vertex enabled in snap settings and the axis constraints.

The problem i'm having now is if I want to snap a vertex point to the edge of the line from the dwg file. The green point picker thingy does not pick points perpendicular to the actual vertex, but a random point on the line im trying to snap to. Which means the vertices of the box i'm modeling does not actually snap to the dwg line but either somewhere above or below the line. I need the green point picker thingy to go perpendicularly not just the actual model.

I've attached a pdf to illustrate the problem

Thank you in advance for your responses!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
PropChad
in reply to: Anonymous

Not sure if you found a solution yet? Unfortunately, the edge snap doesn't respect Axis Constraints. It will snap to the edge, but closest to where your cursor is, not where the vertex would meet the line. It's useless for the most part and doesn't act like it should.

I came up with a couple solutions, but below is the quickest so far. If I find a better less convoluted way I'll respond to this.

Pull the edge of the wall below that line. Then, using QuickSlice in the Edit Geometry rollout, and turn on snap to vertex, slice to the vertices on that line to cut a edges across your wall. Select the polgyons below these new edges and delete, followed by capping the hole that will now be at the bottom of you wall.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report