Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapping the Pivot pos to arbitrary vertex/edge/face centres (not alignment)

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
JonathanCel
2280 Views, 4 Replies

Snapping the Pivot pos to arbitrary vertex/edge/face centres (not alignment)

Hi, I was wondering if there's a straightforward way to move an object's pivot/centre/transform point to the middle of a vert/edge/face selection?

For example in Blender, you:
1-Select the sub elements
2-Shift+S to move the 3D cursor there
3-Ctrl+Shift+C to move the "Origin" to the 3d cursor.
Where the 3D cursor is roughly analogous to the Working Pivot, but more intergrated into the workspace

doin' the thing in Blenderdoin' the thing in Blender

I've been trying to accomplish the same thing in 3DS, but so far, these are the only methods I can think of:

1 - Manually move the pivot point (via Affect Pivot Only) in the ortho views - like an absolute savage!
To be fair, normally I'd just do that, but this time "Good Enough (tm)" isn't enough.

2 - A script - such as "Affect Pivot and Center Pivot" on ScriptSpot
(not sure about Autodesk's offsite-links policy, so sorry about lack of hyperlink)
Max has been around 23 years - there's no way a script/plugin is required to pull this off! I *must* be doing something wrong or missing something obvious. I've worked with Blender for years and had to do this literally hundreds of times with game assets to align imports, have similar items spawn in the same place, have common physics centres, align colliders meshes to the main mesh, weapon grip points, etc.... it's definitely not just me doing this thus that doesn't make any sense.

3 - Manually calculate the values or somehow be able to assign the centre from the Working Pivot?
Again, doesn't make a lot of sense... why would this be the aribtrary line between 3D modelling and CAD?

4 - This abombination:
could've shrunk the gif a bit, I guess.could've shrunk the gif a bit, I guess.

I'm dubious of the notion that "Toggle snapping while dragging" is part good practice, or that this is the quickest/most efficient method.

Any insight at all would be appreciated, cheers.
J

P.s. bonus question?
What is the purpose of "Pin Working Pivot" in the "Working Pivot" rollout on the "Hierarchy Tab"?
I know it holds the position between toggles of "Edit Working Pivot" but since there's a Reset button anyway?
I can't think of a workflow or reason where it makes sense. Any insight there would also fantastic1

Note: This question is worded similarly but doesn't seem to contain the info I'm after:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-modeling/align-pivot-to-edge-face-vertex-of-the-same-object/m...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: JonathanCel

If you don`t want to use scripts, you are out of luck here.Why such vital functionality is missing from 3dsmax i have my own theory.

Here what i`ve done. I used this script here and changed

$.pivot = delta

to

WorkingPivot.SetTM (matrix3[1,0,0][0,1,0] [0,0,1] delta)
WorkingPivot.UseMode = true

As for your your bonus question, i probably have to use the telephone joker: Smiley LOL

I guess you typical use 'Reset Working Pivot' when you still want to have 'Pin Working Pivot' checked but want to move the Pivot to a newly selected object from the previous one.

Message 3 of 5
JonathanCel
in reply to: Anonymous

Hah, yeah, it's a little bewildering, but suddenly I realise why every time the company buys or comissions 3D assets, I end up having to realign everything!

The script, I can totally work with; thank you very much. It's the nudge I needed to explore 3DS scripting.
On the off chance... is there a function then that would apply *that* pivot point ( e.g. the working pivot ) to your model with a simple assign?
Selection.current.pivot.position = WorkingPivot.position; (something like that)

Bonus question too; that makes a lot of sense.

Again, many thanks!
J

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: JonathanCel

@JonathanCel wrote:

Hah, yeah, it's a little bewildering, but suddenly I realise why every time the company buys or comissions 3D assets, I end up having to realign everything!

The script, I can totally work with; thank you very much. It's the nudge I needed to explore 3DS scripting.
On the off chance... is there a function then that would apply *that* pivot point ( e.g. the working pivot ) to your model with a simple assign?
Selection.current.pivot.position = WorkingPivot.position; (something like that)

Bonus question too; that makes a lot of sense.

Again, many thanks!
J

That would be something like:

WorkingPivot.SetTM (matrix3[1,0,0][0,1,0] [0,0,1] $.pivot)

where the [$] sign represents your current selection.

Message 5 of 5
JonathanCel
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks again 😃

Idea's up here if anyone's looking:
Idea's

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report