Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send to Mudbox Grayed Out

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
lightcube
1883 Views, 4 Replies

Send to Mudbox Grayed Out

Anyone else having an issue with the Send to Mudbox menu in Max never activating (it's always grayed out). I'm in Max 2019 and Mudbox 2018.2 (latest of both versions).

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: lightcube

I have this problem. I opened up the .syncfg files to be sure the correct path to the .exe are correct. Still no option and it was working. bah!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: lightcube

Hi, I hope you are doing Ok.

The error is cause by a mismatch of versions in the synergy file.

In order to enable those options the synergy files must have the same "year" so the application is recognized.

I have Max 2019.1 and Mudbox 2018.2

I manage to solve this issue (Kinda* see note below) by modifying the synergy file this way:

NOTE: Backup this file prior to modifications (Just to be safe)

Path:  C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Synerg\Mudbox.2018.2.Windows.64.syncfg

(The folder is hidden if you cant see it)

Now simply change the String Version to "Mudbox 2019", and Numeric version to "2019". Leave the current Executable path alone.  (This is a screenshot of my file)

mudbox Syncfg File.JPG

Save the file.   

(I dont remember if you need Admin permission to modify it), if you do, simply type cmd in the search bar of windows, and when the black icon appear, click right button od your mouse and select "run as an administrator". Then launch a notepad.exe and open the file from there.

Now with this "send to mudbox" should be accesible now.

Please let me know if you can use it without problems.  

Note from above: 

However In my case I got a weird behavior sending from max.

If I try to send from max to mud,  I got an error about invalid paths in mudbox.

Or sometimes I send to mudbox, and mudbox dosest do anything.

In case you see this behavior:

To solve this issue, you must open mudbox, before sending from max.

Once mudbox is open, create a box or simple mesh, and send it to your scene in Max First.

Then you get a green message in max that says "Connected to mudbox"

After this is done, now you can get  your meshes back and forth without problem.

Please let me know how you do.

Have a great Day. 

Message 4 of 5
faline.custodio.da.silva
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @lightcube, @Anonymous, and @Anonymous

The workaround that @Anonymous mentioned is working for me with 3ds Max 2019 and Mudbox 2018. However, I did need admin rights to modify the file.

2018-09-10_15-28-41.jpg

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 5 of 5

The workarounds that @faline.custodio.da.silva @Anonymous mentioned, unfortunately do not lead to any results for me.

I would like to have Max 2020.1 work with Mudbox 2018.2, I initially thought thought that modifying the string and numeric version values of 3ds Max 2020 to 2020 (as it is set to 2019, just like Max 2019) and those of Mudbox to 2020 would solve the issue, but it did not. 

As expected, the send to command between the 2019 versions of Mudbox and 3ds Max work. However, I would like the 2018.2 version to be in sync with Max 2020 due to a certain bug with Mudbox.

How else should I modify the four .syncfg, two for Mudbox and two for Max? Should any changes be made to the executable path?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report