Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Material Library

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ka5162-209
4769 Views, 4 Replies

Importing Material Library

Hello, how can i import a .max scene completely with the assigned materials without having to reassign them? Basicly i want to have the same scene with the same materials in the material editor, all assiged to the right object. Thx.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Fadhil_Farook
in reply to: ka5162-209

1. Export as .OBJ

• Select all your objects that you want to export and "export selected" as .OBJ File.
  • In the .OBJ export window that appears, select Export materials and Create mat-Library.
  • When you Re import the file into a new scene, in the import window, under "Material", select Import Materials and Import into Mat-Editor.

2. Export as FBX

• When you export as FBX, in the export window that appears, Under "Geometry" > Include, Click Embed Media, and then export.
Message 3 of 5
ka5162-209
in reply to: Fadhil_Farook

Thanks for your response.

First i tried imoprting as FBX, 3ds max crashed (i have the 2014 plugin).

Then i tried with OBJ, which worked but: groups dont exist, materials are messed up, material coordiantes gone, retriangulation (didnt chose to), missing textures, renderable lines are back to simple line, and so on. Pretty messy. I will try FBX again.

Message 4 of 5
Fadhil_Farook
in reply to: ka5162-209

Alternatively, you can try File > Import > Merge and select the 3DS Max document that you want to import, into the new scene. In the import window that appears, Select all the objects that you want to import. This way your textures and materials will be imported into the scene as well, and the hierarchy will remain unaffected. Just after importing, without clicking anywhere on the viewport, open the Materials and check if the materials have been imported as well. If it hasn't, in the material editor, click on the eye dropper tool and click on an object in the viewport to create the materials instantly.

2. You could also save your materials into a new library so that you can import just the materials into any scene you want, whenever you want.

Watch this tutorial for how to do it, for it's a little long to explain it here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfdZBOb4udk

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Fadhil_Farook

How we can import CAD file to 3Ds max with assigned material?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report