Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create outlines around edges

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
patrickroykirkby
2143 Views, 2 Replies

How to create outlines around edges

Hi everyone, I'm trying to render a UV template with white highlights around certain edges of this rock that I have created. In the first image you can see my UV map, the 2nd image is just my rock, and the 3rd image I put an ink and paint material on it and rendered it.

I don't want to use the ink and paint material in the end, but I do want to paint those highlights on manually. However, since I'm making lots of rocks, I want to find a quicker process. When I render the UV template, it has all those white lines around each polygon, but I don't want that many outlines.

I would love to find a way to render the material or extract it somehow with white outlines only around specific edges, similar to the way the ink and paint material renders. Then I will know my edges and would be able to paint them as I see fit in photoshop. Thanks in advance!

Labels (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
RobH2
in reply to: patrickroykirkby

There's probably a better way but what if you 'detach' the specific parts that you want to have isolated for painting? UV those as separate elements of the whole rock. Link the parts together so when you move the main rock everything follows. It's still going to take some time. I can't think of something that's automatic or faster. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 3

I ended up doing something similar, I just highlighted the faces of each flat section of the rock, then in photoshop I outlined the rendered template area. It's tedious but ended up with a desired result. Thanks for your time!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report