Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create buttons on a 3ds model

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
pxcable
516 Views, 5 Replies

How to create buttons on a 3ds model

Hi all,

I've hit a bit of a wall and am not sure how to best add buttons to my model. I am fairly new to 3d modeling and have

only been using the software for the last 9 months. I created the buttons for my model by just tracing a photo in Max then laying them on seemed ok until I noticed that the power button need to be concaved - something I don't know how to do. It was suggested that I could use textures to better and easier job but not sure what to do....I've googled and looked for you tube help now I turn to this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a screenshot of my issue. Thank you in advance for your help.

Screenshot (19).png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CiroCardoso3v
in reply to: pxcable

You need Arrimus3D in your life

https://www.youtube.com/c/Arrimus3D

He has some tutorials explaining how to do what you need.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
pxcable

Thank you for the post I will take a look. 

Message 4 of 6
10DSpace

@pxcable 

I am also a fan or Arrimus, and you will definitely benefit  from viewing his videos. But if all you want to do is position the decal geometry for the On button smoothly against the concave surface of the button, you can do this using the Move Conform brush in the Free Form section of the modeling ribbon.  You select the surface you want to draw on and the gently move the decals with the conform brush with offset setting of 0 or very low and the decal will adhere to the surface.  The decal needs some edges to allow it to conform properly to the surface.   See example below.

10DSpace_0-1645658768622.png

Message 5 of 6
pxcable

Amazing - that's great cheers. I'll give that a go. Thank you 

Message 6 of 6
pxcable

Thank you, David, it took me some experimenting to work out how to use the conform tool but it worked. 😁

Now just to smooth out the model.

Power  Button.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report