Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a curved face

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1393 Views, 2 Replies

Creating a curved face

Hello.

I'm trying to create a curved polygon in the gun I'm modelling but so far everything I've tried failed to achieve the desired effect. Soft selection failed completely for me. I am new to this as well...

Bend Modifier

Problem 2.jpg

The point is to make a seamless curvature without affecting the top and bottom edges of the model like so... but without extruding them...

Problem.jpg

Any thoughts, please?

Thank you.

~S~

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
blakestone
in reply to: Anonymous

I am not aware of an inbuilt tool which does this however you can do this as shown below:

1. 3D Model
2. Select the 2 outer edges and using the CONNECT tool create some new edges
3. Select this section and detach as a separate 3D Model

4. Add the FFD 2x2x2 modifier from the Modifier List 

5. Select both bottom-corner Control Points and you can freely create your rounded curve

6. To get an accurate curve I created a reference square snapping each corner of the detached 3D Model

7.  With the snap tool on select both top-right Control Points and drag down to the bottom-left - creating a perfect curve

8. Re-attach the curved 3D Model and Weld the vertices

9. Re-add the deleted side faces - done

Hope this helps!

example.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: blakestone

Many, Many thanks! This is a very good solution and you even included a step by step guide! 😄

Thank you very much))))

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report