Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting 3DS Max project to FBX

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
6980 Views, 8 Replies

Converting 3DS Max project to FBX

Hello,

We are trying to use a 3DS Max scene for a project in Unity. We want to use this model : http://www.scifi3d.com/George_Mezori_SOTS_projectpage/ACT_III/MosEspaArena/mosespaarena.html

However, the given files are in .MAX, format that Unity doesn't read.

I tried converting them to .FBX by exporting the scene but when I load it in Unity, all the textures appear with an uniform color (no texture details of any sort).

As I know really little of 3ds, I wanted to know if someone had more experience in this conversion and could help me 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Tristan

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello 🙂

When you export to FBX, do you check the "Embed Media"? It is important to do that because it will save your material textures too.

Let me know the result 🙂 Thank you and good luck.

Best Regards,

Gogein

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Hello,

Where is this option?

I have the 2017 version, and in my menu I go to Export > Export Selected (or other option similar I don't recall) and both directly open a Save window ( where I can browse my documents to choose where to save the new .FBX).

It seems also that I might have a problem loading some textures, I'll continue digging into this point.

Thanks! 🙂

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Hello,

Go to Export > Export Selected > Give a name for your object and choose .FBX format > click Save > then "FBX Export" window will appear > Open the "Embed Media" rollout > check "Embed Media" > click OK.

Check out my screenshot 🙂

Good Luck !

Best Regards,

Gogein

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Hello,

Sorry for the delay, I've been held up by other projects.

Checking Embed Media did load the image textures that I have and I see them in Unity.

However, most of my texture maps aren't simple Bitmaps. Now I have to try and find how to convert them to bitmaps and apply these new images to my objects... Smiley Indifferent

Do you by any chance know of a good tutorial that could help me ? Could not find really up-to-date or complete tutorials 😕

Thanks for the time and the help!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Hello 🙂

Sorry for the delay too.

What kind of texture maps are you using? Maybe I could help you too.

I have a tutorial from YouTube. But I don't know is it okay to share it in here...

So, maybe I will share it to you by Private Message.

You are very welcome 😄 Good luck for your project !

Best Regards,

Gogein

Message 7 of 9
BvC_Prod

I'm dealing with a similar issue, only difference being I'm importing fbx to UE4. I'm good with how and when to apply Smooth 30, went a bit further with some modifications trimming some polys and centering the pivot point, then exported Selection, checked Smoothing Groups under Geometry and also checked Embed Media. In UE4, I see the smoothing applied, alas textures not showing up in the material and the centered pivot also didn't make it through. Much appreciated!

Message 8 of 9
jibijib
in reply to: BvC_Prod

Once the media is embedded setting is ticked in max, Unity must have 'Import Materials' in the model settings in the Inspector. This creates a material in Unity with the texture applied.

I always create my own, and have created a script to deactivate this permanently, I find it annoying.

Message 9 of 9
BvC_Prod
in reply to: jibijib

So Unity is equally unreliable as Unreal in finding the texture and making the material, noted. I can deal with manual. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report