Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting two edges (beginner question)

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1902 Views, 4 Replies

Connecting two edges (beginner question)

Hey,

I need some help trimming the horizontal plane at the intersection. At the moment the planes are separated in space but attached so I can edit their geometry at the same time.

Thanks

ddd.png

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

It looks like there is no edge defining the intersection of the 2 plane elements, correct?  So if your objective is to trim each of the polygons extension beyond the intersection to make a corner then all you need to do is to create an edge on each of the polygons at the line of  the intersection.  You will then be able to delete the polygon extending beyond each new edge you created at the intersection.   To create edges there are a number of options, but 1 simple way is to select the opposing edges and choose "Connect" in the Editable Poly rollout. Then in the "Constraints" section of the Editable poly rollout, choose "Edge". This will let you slide the new edge down to the intersection without distorting the face of the poly accidentally.   After you have placed both edges at the intersection just delete the polygons extending beyond the intersection.  Last step would be to weld the vertices of the 2 edges that are now at the intersection to make them a single edge.    Hope this is clear and helps.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: 10DSpace

@10DSpace 

Thanks. Is there any way to snap the created connecting edge to exactly the intersection though? I dont want to eye-ball it because when I weld them together either the horizontal or the diagonal plane would change angle.

Message 4 of 5
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

Is there any way to snap the created connecting edge to exactly the intersection though? I dont want to eye-ball it because when I weld them together either the horizontal or the diagonal plane would change angle.

You can also put the Snaps toggle on ("S" is shortcut) with "Vertex" and "Edge/Segment" selected for the Grid and snap settings (Right click the Snap toggle to set) .  This will give you greater precision for the placement of the first edge as follows:

With the above snap settings and snap on, select the edge along the nearside horizontal polygon and activate "Insert Vertex" in the edit poly rollout.  Zoom in very close and you should be able to place the vertex where the 2 edges intersect with the snap highlighting the intersection point.  Then select the opposing edge and repeat inserting a vertex there. Then Connect the 2 vertices.  Once you have the first edge placed precisely, you can use the technique described in my first post to make an edge on the second polygon and using both Edge constraint and the above snap settings you should be able to get the 2nd edge to align with the first.   Zoom in and work carefully and you should be able to get this to work.  Hope this helps. 

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: 10DSpace

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report