Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting FBX model with Dampers in "Geometry not supported plugin"?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
772 Views, 2 Replies

Exporting FBX model with Dampers in "Geometry not supported plugin"?

Hello, ive made a mesh of a spaceship in 3ds max 2020. The rear doors have dampers on and they function fine, when exporting for unity as .FBX I get an error about "The plug-in does not support the following objects' geometry type and will convert them to editable polys. Morph and skin deformations may be lost.
If 'Enable in Viewport' is deactivated, closed shapes are capped and open shapes are converted to dummy objects with no edges or faces.
If 'Enable in Viewport' is active, the Viewport settings are used for the mesh conversion:
    -LARGE_CARGO_SHIP_LEFT_PISTON
    -LARGE_CARGO_SHIP_RIGHT_PISTON
"

So my dampers aren't working in Unity and Unity 2019 isn't letting me drag a .MAX file into the scene either! how can I make the pistons work as an FBX.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

The Damper dynamic object is a max specific object as you have found out.  You can get rid of the error message from the .fbx exporter by placing an edit poly modifier on the Damper (at least that worked fro me in Max 2020.3). 

But if you want other programs to be able to recognize the animation on the Damper, you have to place a point cache modifier on the modifier stack of the Damper object and record the animation.   This creates a vertex animation that is saved out to an external file that other programs like Unity can recognize.   Here is a link to the Max documentation on the point cache modifier which is pretty easy to use (and there are also video tutorials you can google.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-BBD466E2-DC18-467C-958F-B06E2C575EA3-htm.html

As for importing into Unity, I suggest that you check with the Unity forums for the best workflow.  I found 1 3rd party importer, but there may be other better ways so check with the Unity docs/community.   Link to 3rd party importer is below and there is also a video there that shows process. 

http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=1335

Hope this helps. 

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello, ive made a mesh of a spaceship in 3ds max 2020. The rear doors have dampers on and they function fine, when exporting for unity as .FBX I get an error about "The plug-in does not support the following objects' geometry type and will convert them to editable polys. Morph and skin deformations may be lost. If 'Enable in Viewport' is deactivated, closed shapes omegle xender are capped and open shapes are converted to dummy objects with no edges or faces. If 'Enable in Viewport' is active, the Viewport settings are used for the mesh conversion: -LARGE_CARGO_SHIP_LEFT_PISTON -LARGE_CARGO_SHIP_RIGHT_PISTON" So my dampers aren't working in Unity and Unity 2019 isn't letting me drag a .MAX file into the scene either! how can I make the pistons work as an FBX. Thanks!

thank you my issue has been solved

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report