Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug with crossing selection on backside faces?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1222 Views, 7 Replies

Bug with crossing selection on backside faces?

First, enable "Auto Window/Crossing by Direction" in the preferences.

When selecting at the Object level, I've noticed that the crossing option does not "see" away-facing faces unless you draw the selection box entirely around the away-facing face.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?  Seems like a bug.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

I think, perhaps, a slight misunderstanding of that preference setting.
With that preference ON then the direction in which you drag out the selection region matters, and depends on which of the 2 associated radio buttons is selected.

For example, with Right -> Left = Crossing then dragging out the rectangle from right to left will select the Poly (or object) even though the region only covers part of the poly (or object). Dragging left to right is "window" selection and requires the whole poly (or object) to be inside the selection.

That preference is there so you can either window select or crossing select without having to click the toolbar button to switch between window and crossing.

It does appear to work correctly here.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

In my example, I am using the "crossing" option when I select.  In other words, I am dragging from right to left to create the selection window.  And in my preferences, "Right->Left => Crossing" is enabled.  But it is not selecting objects when I only partially drag over a backface.

Message 4 of 8
Steve_Curley

Definitely working here - I've tried it every way I can think of and it just works, with and without that preference and with both of the options (L>R and R>L).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

One thing I forgot to mention...  You need to enable "Backface Cull" on the object properties.  Then, try to select the object with only a parital drag over a backface.  You have to "know" where the face is in the screen, since you can't see it, so you know where and who to drag.  Doesn't work for me.  Does this still work on your end?

Message 6 of 8
Steve_Curley

Edged Faces - works wonders when you can't see the backface 😉

And yes, works fine with Backface cull. You haven't managed to turn on "Ignore Backfacing" have you?

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 8
PROH

Hi.

Just tried it in MaxDesign2012 PU10. On object level I get the same result as you: crossing won't selct objects from the backside. But on Sub-object level it works: crossing selects faces/polygons from the backside.

Tried both Nitrous and Direct3d as well as different object types - all with the same result.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 8 of 8
Steve_Curley
in reply to: PROH

Finally - I thought I'd tried everything, but obviously not. Doesn't work at object level but does at subobject level. In fact it doesn't work even if you completely enclose the poly - if the next poly is also backfacing.
Has this ever worked? it's not something I normally do (work with b/face cull on), and it's been a long time since "Backface Cull on Object Creation" was on by default, so I can't remember.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report