Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max Complex Structure Connection in Heart and arteries model

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
dpannable
419 Views, 8 Replies

3ds Max Complex Structure Connection in Heart and arteries model

Hello, 

I am new to 3ds max and working on a research project where an antomically accurate heart is connected with a arties and veins model of the body to model blood flow in a different software. I am having difficulty with connecting any of the structures together in 3d max. 

dpannable_0-1707760698417.png

Thank you for the help and look forward to working with all of you!

Tags (2)
Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CiroCardoso3v
in reply to: dpannable

Is hard to say what is happening, but it seems that the geometry moved. How did you import this model into 3ds max? Using FBX?

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 3 of 9

Not sure what's the problem is. Connecting as in objects supposed to be together, but got moved apart or you need to create new geometry to connect two openings for example?
Show what you have and how it's supposed to be (paint over screenshot if there is no better example).

Message 4 of 9
dpannable

I am using 3ds max for the first time. The heart model was imported into the arteries and veins model. This created gaps where the old heart was cut out (due to being a solid component). I am lost in the process of connecting the heart to all of the different arteries and veins. 

Message 5 of 9
dpannable
in reply to: CiroCardoso3v

I talked with the person who set up the model. It was bought online for 3ds max, downloaded, and then the heart was cut out of the whole model and a more anatomic heart was added.
Message 6 of 9

Without experience in 3dsmax it would be borderline impossible to modify complex model.

If you just need to connect pipes/veins, it might be manageable though. Still, you would need to dig tutorials on basic geometry editing.

heart.jpg

Message 7 of 9

Hello Dmitriy,

Thank you for your message just a couple more questions. 
1. when I hit attach this menu pops up I'm confused by what each of these mean.

dpannable_0-1708118237395.png

2. I have been able to move the polygons closer to each other but cannot find anything only showing how to connect two polygons that have a different level of vertex's. this is the last step i am stuck on, I was able to connect the two as you said but am lost on where to go from here. 

dpannable_1-1708119011906.png

Thank you for your patience and help.

Drew

Message 8 of 9
leeminardi

Other users may offer a better approach but the following will work.

I assume the geometry on the left and right are part of the same object, i.e. you used attached to "join" the two objects and that you are working with an Editable Poly.  Also note that the "tube" on the left has no wall thickness while the tube on the right does.  Do you need a finite wall thickness for your final model (e.g., the right tube)?

Ignoring the inner right surface, start by deleting the polygons on the end edge of the tube (green arrow) yielding edge polygons that hav an open edge that can be connected to edge polygons on the left. 

leeminardi_0-1708124537279.png

Set snaps to vertex and select the Polygon subobject and Create. Pick vertices to use to define a new polygon working in a counter clockwise direction as shown above.  CCW ensures that the polygon normas will be pointing outward.

leeminardi_1-1708124997343.png

lee.minardi
Message 9 of 9

Objects have different materials and max asks how you want to handle it. I prefer to keep single clean multi-sub material for objects, instead of mushing several together - it can get very messy very fast. So can't tell you from the top of my head which option would work.

Easy solution would be to keep UVs, but remove materials from objects - command panel / utilities / [more] / UVW Remove.

Bridge operation can handle openings with different number of vertices. Not sure what's the issue here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report