Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub Object Reference Coordinate System

Sub Object Reference Coordinate System

We need to be able to pick a sub object selection (Face(s),Edge(s),Vert(s)) and use it as the reference coordinate system the same way we can with objects. This should work for splines as well, curved segments would still just use their 2 vertices, and the spline sub object would use it's first and last verts.

teratron_0-1628464231934.png

Also there needs to be a command for "Set Reference Coordinate System" that we can hot-key. So just make a selection, hit the hot-key, and bam you are working in that ref coord.

There is a free script that does something similar by aligning the working pivot, to your sub object selection. This video demonstrates the workflow pretty well. It works ok, but is a little slow/clunky and puts you in working pivot mode which is not always ideal. It also does not work with splines, and you can't pick a previous ref coord from the drop down.
https://youtu.be/NypFt_W9NAc

8 Comments

[Custom Pivot] Versatile on-the-go interactive pivot manipulation (Align, Pos, Orient, Aim) similar ...

Something similar with this maybe? Anyway, Ive made this pretty comprehensive and illustrated idea some time ago

teratron
Advocate

@Kranos_Orphydian  Yeah that would work too, only slight drawback I can think of would be that you wouldn't have a list of saved spaces you could cycle through. Your Maya method would probably graft on to the Place Pivot surface functionality pretty well though.

shawnolson
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

teratron
Advocate

@shawnolson  HYPE!!

Wonder if it will work with splines as well

@teratron  the "list of saved spaces you could cycle through" its a great idea. Are you on beta already? If not they are receiving and and listening to a lot of feedback about this pivot thing lately so I strongly recommend going there and push for this.

Pls suggest this addition in my illustrated idea and others as well!  If Im not mistaken this is inspired by Blender right? Pls develop more about it or about Blender system and maybe I can write about it on my own on beta forums.

I suggest other discussions here on Ideas forums about the pivot to be conducted under my idea as there are other very similar suggestions like Insert pivot point function like maya - Autodesk Community and its not beneficial to have them spread all around this forum.

@shawnolson was this already been implemented with Snap Working pivot?

teratron
Advocate

@Kranos_Orphydian Yeah it has a good implementation now, though doesn't seem to work on splines yet which would be a great update.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report