Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution for optimizing STEP/CAD import for performance in Max.

Solution for optimizing STEP/CAD import for performance in Max.

Hi

I have an issue when I import certain step files from a client in 3dsmax. Today a step file I imported was broken into 20.000 + objects, essentially one object for each surface. This makes Max unresponsive for minutes at a time when doing any simple operation like trying to click something in the viewport, essentially it's unusable for working with this file.

My workaround right now is to go via another (non-AD) external software to import the CAD/step file then bring it into max. Other software that can translate CAD files, like Polytrans, Deep Exploration and Keyshot optimizes the CAD files better than 3dsmax. They create fewer objects, like making a Solidworks Part one object with multiple elements, instead of the way Max handles it, where the lowest group in the tree is the part, and the bodies and surfaces are multiple geometry/objects inside that group. 

My request is this: Can Autodesk provide an option when importing various CAD formats so you can optimize assemblies into fewer objects? All objects contained in the last group in each branch of the hierarchy should be merged into one object, named after the group which is the correct part name, instead of several meshes named "none, fillet, surface etc... 

14 Comments
Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Anonymous
Not applicable

I deal with this as well. It is frustrating to know what the step ap242 standard has in it such as pmi and metadata that could be used in 3ds max or other software. Using the options available in the current translator seems quite elemental. Trimming a heirarchy is easy in SAP Visual Enterprise Author. I have used it as an intermediary between my company's product model in Catia and Siemens NX. If I don't use their cad tools to clean up and reduce the files I end up with a mess like you describe. I think a good bit of the problem lies in a lack of training on underlying topology of solid models and that they can look good when the meshes have different topology. Cad tools for 3ds Max?!

brentscannell
Alumni

Anonymous
Not applicable

When importing STEP files with "convert to mesh" enabled max welds the vertices of previously independant surfaces so it' s not possible anymore to select a surface by element. This does not happen when importing with Power Translator as mesh or when importing as body objects.  It would be great to have an option to turn weld on import on or off. Attached are two screenshots. The object on the right was imported with "convert to mesh" on. The left was imported as body object and collapsed to a mesh. Both objects show the result of selecting a single surface on element level. It' s not a solution to import as body object and just convert objects to an editable mesh as this brings other issues. Like instances are lost. 

Tags (4)
brentscannell
Alumni

pokoy
Advocate

Agreed, ATF is a bit too rigid with this, it needs to be more flexible.

brentscannell
Alumni

Would you disagree if we merged this idea and it's votes into this one?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/solution-for-optimizing-step-cad-import-for-performance...

We can tailor the subject a little bit to make sure it captures the essence of both ideas

pokoy
Advocate

I agree that it's better to keep all the wishes and requests for ATF  in one place. I'd be fine with that, I hope the original author here feels same. Thank you, Brent!

brentscannell
Alumni

@markus

I've merged in a different but related idea into this topic (along with it's votes!). Would you object if I renamed the title of this to be:

"Better management of object/body face data during CAD imports"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep. You can explode to elements in edit mesh but instancing is gone. Good
for replacing or reducing objects in Mass for real-time display. Needs work
fo sho.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Topic is on import. There are minimal controls. I don't care really if you
want to. Didn't see your topic.
markus
Advocate

@brentscannell Go ahead with renaming! Sounds like a good idea to merge related ideas if it will help with the votes! 🙂

markus
Advocate

@brentscannell btw, I just saw another thread regarding CAD import. This is something I think we discussed before. I don't know but maybe you'll want to merge this as well?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/more-cad-import-options/idi-p/8382591

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report